Newark, New Jersey, Which would be cheaper?

To rent an apartment or a house?
We are being transfered there and have to be there by Feb 14th. I looked up some apartments and they seem so expensive.
So what would be better?
Rent a house or an apartment?

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'm sure you can find something close by, Maplewood, Cranford is very nice.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Stay away from Newark! You don't want to live there. Check out surrounding towns, ask a realtor. But Newark is very bad. Very bad crime rate. If you have to live there (which I don't see why you can't find something close by that's a nicer town) just rent. Don't buy there. You don't want to be stuck with a house there. You wouldn't want your kids in those schools.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Sorry for the rant! I see now you weren't asking if you should rent or buy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We have to be close to there. My husband is being transfered to the airport there.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• thanks
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Morristown, Morris Plains is about 45 miles west from there. Whippany and Parsippany were nice areas a LONG time ago. Orange had alot of crime........not sure about nowdays but check out the surrounding towns if he would not mind the commute.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• OMG mompam is soooooo right. I'm originally from brooklyn, ny and left there because of the crime and i one day I had to go to Newark to pick someone up and right away, i locked my car door picked her up and drove as fast as i could. i was dirty and lots of thugs hanging around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2009