Should I allow my 9 year old to read Twilight?

He has read all the Harry Potter books, but I have never read a Twilight book so I have no idea if they are appropriate.

ejkmommy

Asked by ejkmommy at 3:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yeah, kids that age love it! And it's great your son likes to read :)
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 3:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I wouldnt let him read the last one but thats JMO. If I were you I would read them first thats how my best friend and I do it with our kids my son is 11 and her daughter is 12, we read things first if we know there is content we may not want them to read. Her daughte has read them all my son has no interest in them at all.

for example my friends daughter wanted to read the sookie books and i had read the entire series a few years ago adn keep up on the new ones htat come up and I told her no way would i let my kids read them.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Hmmm... I would say that it might be just a hair complex for a 9-year-old, but okay for a 12 & up crowd. Course it would depend on the maturity of the kiddo too. I guess, while I loved the series, it just has some pretty complicated relationship sequences that may be confusing w/o a little parental guidance. I would encourage you to read it, make an informed decision, then, if you do allow her to read the series, it will be something that you can both discuss and share ideas about.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Harry Potter can get creepy, but it isn't sensual like the Twilight books.

I'm a certified English teacher and my advice would be no. I would say the Twilight books are not appropriate for anyone under the age of 13..depending on the maturity level possibly even 15.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• A couple of the books in the series have sexual encounters and vividly expressed through wording. As a mother of a 9yr old daughter, I would not allow her to read it because of the sexual content. Maybe when she was 15 or so and understood relationships and sexuality.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I think you should read them first and make your decision based off what you read and your child's maturity level.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 4:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It depends on the maturity level of your 9 year old. It may be a little too much, but YOU know your child best. If he knows fact from fiction, make believe from real, he should be ok. I would say that the Twilight series is ok for 12 and up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I love them, but I would say no.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I thought the books were great but my nine year old will not be reading them anytime soon.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• As a mother of a 9 yr old I would not. They are a little too mature I think. There is quite a bit of violence and some sexual references. The last one, especially so. There is a bedroom scene which refers to biting, etc. A little too much I think.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2009