If you made $300,000 a year

how would your life be different?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We would all have more clothes :) I would not be as stressed.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I would have no debt and I would invest for my retirement.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• oh to dream..........
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My husband would have a better truck, we'd have a better house and less stress.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• no credit cards, better place to live (not that ours is ghetto) more clothes, eating organic way more. better car for all of us. and lots of money in savings
    Anonymous

• Wow. That's a lot of money. We would have our own house, paid off, and new cars and we wouldn't have to worry about having enough money to make ends meet. My 7yo could actually get her girl scout uniform (because there never seems to be enough left for it when I remember she needs it still).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I think it's a fallacy that the more you make, the happier you'll be, or the more $$ you'll have. What most people do is up their spending when they make more, so even though you're netting a larger income, you''re making bigger expenditures (you get a bigger, more expensive house, or buy another car). I have friends who probably net 1million a year, but they have 2 expensive cars and an expensive mortgage in an expensive city. When all is said and done, they probably have the same amount of free cash that many others have. You can chase money all you want and dream of the good life, but every measurable study shows that money does not equal happiness. The better measure is free time with family, health, qualify of marriage, etc. Of course, being poor sucks and I wouldn't want to be, but these are things to keep in mind.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i'd pay off all my and my dh debt. i'd not get any bigger house. i'd send my child(ren) to good schools as they grow, age appropriate. i'd put much into savings at first but asap have the money working for themselves - opened a business, hired people and do one thing i'd never done today. to remember being rich long!
    Anonymous

• I'd live in the house i want to live in & i would probably take more vacations.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If you actually earned $300,000 per year, you would likely be an executive level employee, business owner, doctor, lawyer, etc. Thanks to our tax system, 50% of that income would be taken by the IRS in the form of taxes (business, personal or both!). Of the $150,000 you have left over, you would need to pay your mortgage, (proportionate to your income)--lets say an average of $50,000 per year, plus utilities, groceries, and clothing, and multiply that if you have children, a housekeeper and or a nanny--plus the cost for an accountant!

If you're a doctor you'll pay more for malpractice insurance, and if you're a business owner (both if private practice), you'll have to meet payroll, health and liability insurance and whatever state business licenses that are required, plus the cost of items to sell.

When all is said and done, even those making what SEEMS like a lot of money, aren't as "well off" as you think!
    Anonymous