I'm trying to become pregnant and would like to know what i should be doing to prepare my body?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Eat healthy, exercise, and just have fun with it.
    Anonymous

• Yes, eat healthy, quit smoking or drinking if you do, and you can start taking Prenatal vitamins now. I would drink water and not soda,too. And exercise is always a good thing. Walking. Yoga if your Doctor says its okay. Good luck!!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Start taking prenatal vitamins if you haven't already and eat healthy. Now is not the time to try and lose weight or get super fit. Now is the time to get healthy. Eat a healthy, balanced diet and get moderate exercise 3 times a day (walking, biking, or eliptical machines are good choices).

I'm pregnant with my 3rd now and found that doing pilates before the 2nd and 3rd pregnancies helped a ton with the back, hip, and pelvis pain you'll get later in the 3rd trimester. I wish I had been doin pilates before my first pregnancy. Many pilates moves aren't safe to do once pregnant because they put too much strain on the abdominals, so I recommend picking up a pregnancy pilates video on Amazon.com and doing that 4 to 5 days a week. Then you'll even be able to continue it during pregnancy.

Good luck.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Eat Healthy, Excersise, Take Prenatal Vitimins. Make sure you get enough Iron in your diet as well, because pregnancy can cause a drop in Iron very easily. You don't want to become anemic if you were to become pregnant.

Pilates is a GREAT way to excersise while you're trying and while you are pregnant. The stretches help prepare the body for the changes and for childbirth. It is a great way to relax your body and stay in shape. I really recommend doing Pilates.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• At least 400 mg folic acid every day.
    A good OTC prenatal.
    Extra iron (dark leafy greens + citrus works well for this).
    Exercise but not too much. It's hard to get pregnant if you don't have enough (or too much) body fat.
    Have your thyroid (a full panel, not just TSH) checked - a poorly functioning thyroid can seriously impact your fertility even if you don't show any physical signs of thyroid disfunction.
    Have a "pre conception" consultation with the care provider of your choice (an OB, family practice dr, or midwife). They'll help you plan, advise you about coming off birth control, make sure you're healthy for conception and pregnancy.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Take folic acid. Its a small vitamin pill you buy over the counter at any drug store. Usually women's bodies don't have enough folic acid but it is greatly needed to get pregnant and stay pregnant.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Take a prenatal and folic acid tablets. Eat healthy a healthy well balanced diet, Excercise --but not to the extreme. Lay off caffine, any drugs--i'm sure you are smarter then that, and alcohol. Get a good 7hrs sleep at night. And same for your husband, His body and sperm count and quality plays a part too. --not that he needs to go on prenatals, lol. But he does need to be taking care of himself too. A good diet, etc and caffine and alcohol will lower his sperm quality too.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 10:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Start by quitting bad things like smoking drinking etc.
    Start a healthy diet, no proof this will boost your chances but it will make it a more smooth adjustment when you do conceive.
    Exercise is good for improving fertility, but it can also be bad-it's a matter of degree. Exercise keeps the body healthy (very important for conception). It promotes good circulation to all body parts, including the reproductive system.
    Prenatals 6 months before you try to conceive! 400mg folic acid supplement!
    http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/getting-pregnant/pre-pregnancy-health/preconception-health-checklist/
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• If you aren't taking vitamins, start! Even just a regular vitamin once a day, just make sure it has folic acid! It is sooo important because lack of folic acid can lead to children with cystic fibrosis
    lexileighsmommy

Answer by lexileighsmommy at 10:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2009