salted vs unsalted butter

if i have a cookie recipe that calls for butter (without specifying salted/unsalted) AND a tsp of salt, can i just use salted butter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I'm a Pastry Chef turned SAHM and I vote UNsalted butter!!! If you add salted butter and then the extra salt in the recipe, it may alter the consistency and flavor of the cookies.
    I'm an oddball and will NOT use salted butter at all. I only buy unsalted. I don't think I've ever bought salted butter to bake with.

mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Id just use whatever butter you have on hand and still add the salt. It wont be noticeable.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i only use salted butter i don't like the taste of unsalted
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 6:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If I use unsalted, I add the salt stated. If I use salted, I use half the salt or none at all.
    Anonymous

• Salted butter has approximately 1/4 teaspoonful salt per 1 pound, it's not enough to alter the taste of cookies or most other things except maybe the most delicate dishes. Just use whatever butter you have on hand and add the specified amount of salt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• When baking UNsalted better is by far the better choice because it will give you a better end product.

And, something else for all you salted butter lovers out there to think about....unless you personally know the dairy where that butter is coming from, you have no way of knowing how old that butter is because salt will preserve the butter longer & cover any "off" flavors that might have been starting. To ensure you are getting the freshest butter, always buy unsalted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• when baking, unless it says otherwise, i always use unsalted sweet cream butter.
    reddforsyth

Answer by reddforsyth at 10:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2009