Can Anyone Please Explain?

What exactly is TANF? I went to DHS to apply for foodstamps and kept seeing and hearing TANF. I don't really know what it is and DHS was extremely busy today so I didn't have a chance to ask them. Please someone explain if you know what it is.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• TANF = temporary assistance for needy families. It's also called cash assistance by some. They allot you so much money to spend on anything you want a month, BUT you eventually have to pay it back. In my state (PA) you can only get it for 2 years in your life, so I've never been on it, even though I could have.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• When they make you pay it back is there intrest added to it? or how does that work? And how long after you receive do you have to start paying it back? I live in Oklahoma
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I live in Texas and I have never qualified. I didn't even qualify when I was not working, I had 1 child at the time and was getting $64 a week in child support.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 5:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2009