depo shot

the other day i started thinking about something. they say that the first 2 wks you get your depo is not effective and to use another type of bc. i been on depo for 9 mts and just found out about this after i got my last shot. so am wondering in that 2 week period you have between shots is the depo less effective? window to get my shot was from de 2- dec 16. and of course i have had sex during that time. am getting the shot on the 16.i had sex on the 10 th and 12. i also noticed that fater no period for 9 mts i been spotting for 3 wks now. and i have gained 5 lbs in one week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Health

• spotting is normal...I've had the depo shot before and I used to spot. I think that's normal. And you also do gain weight with it. I think if you keep up with your shots you should be fine. I would still be on it but I don't have insurance and I can't afford to pay out of pocket.
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Hated the depo. The side effects were awful for me....took forever to get that crap out of my system as well.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Cant answer your question about the effectiveness window. But I will say I was on depo for 4 yrs and have fertility issues. I was great when on it. Coming off of it was a bitch though and may have done perminant damage. Also I stopped the depo because in the last year I was taking it I started noticing pain in my back and a bone density scan revealed some damage was beginning. Depo can cause bone loss. So be careful and really think about the risks.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• yeah am gonna get of it, i noticed my joints have been hurting for a while now.
    Anonymous