Does it sound like I'm naming my daughter after my FIL?

I'm pregnant with a girl. I've LOVED the name Rachel my whole life.

However, my FIL has the name Ray! Do you think he and the rest of my husband's family will think I'm naming the baby after him? We're certainly not. My husband thinks I'm a little crazy to even think this LOL.

The other thing is the baby will be born close to my FIL's birthday...

What do you guys think? Use the name and hope I'm the only one that notices? Or find another one if I don't want my FIL thinking he's extra special?

ClaireW

Asked by ClaireW at 5:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no it dnt souund like it too me
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 5:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• no i wouldnt think so and when you bring up the name to family point out you always loved that name so no one can jump to conclusions
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 5:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If you love it, use it.

I would think you are naming the child after him if you spelled it like Raychel LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I think it's far enough that if you love the name, use it. Just be prepared that someday, somehow, you might have to say "Nope, we just liked the name." if it comes up.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 6:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Go with what you like! BTW, my mom's name is Rachel and my daughter's name is Claire. Kind of ironic... LOL
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 6:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I think it sounds close, but who really cares? i mean if you like the name, then use it.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 6:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• is he that bad of a guy? if i have a daughter i am naming her after my FIL. His name is Karl and if we have a daughter some day i've already decided that her name will be Karli. My husband is very close to his dad. I actually really hope that we would have a girl cuz otherwise my husband has said he wants to name a son the family's middle name "george" which i'm not to fond of.. i would do it for him but i really dont like the name.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• you could use raychel...i wouldnt name her that though if you dont like the man or if your husband dont and if you think you will hear that she was named after him all the time
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Go with what you like and don't make any mention at all about what you said to us here. You don't want to put the thought into their heads if it isn't already in there. Also, I like one of the pp's advice if someone asks if you named her after him. Just tell them no that you like the name and leave it at that.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009