Need help!!! My daughter won't bf!

My dd is 6 days old. We were advised to suppliment with formula and bf at the same time. So, my husband gives her a couple of oz of formula a day and I feed her the rest of the time. Twice today she wouldn't bf. She screamed until she got a bottle. I got her to latch all last night without a problem. This morning she screamed for a bottle. Then she bf again this afternoon. Now she wouldn't latch but drank from a bottle. I'm so upset...I really want to bf! Any advice or stories from your experience are greatly appreciated!

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 6:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just stop giving her a bottle. This is called nipple confusion and continuing to give a bottle will only make it worse. Keep working to get her to latch and look into some alternatives to bottles in the meantime. If you really DO need to supplement (and many times they tell you that without any good reason), then it should be with an alternative method (tube, cup, syringe, etc...). Like PP said, come to breastfeeding moms and you'll get loads of help and good info! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Go to: www.kellymom.com  for info on getting baby back on breast.

Yell at the fool who told you to supplement, with a bottle to boot.    That was terrible advice for a bf couple.

You can work this out.   Join the breastfeeding moms group asap.    Also, you can pump or hand express a little before latching her on so she gets instant gratification.       I got to go...right now...i'll be back to help...  or someone else will.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Why were you told to supplement? There must have been a reason , otherwise I can't see why they would advise you of doing this. If you can breastfed and you can produce enough and there aren't any worries about her weight, your health etc than stop giving her the bottle.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I agree - unless there is some issue with your milk production there is no reason to supplement. I would stop the bottles and full steam ahead with the breast! It might take a few days to get her on track but it will be worth it in the long run. Good Luck!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If you truely need to suppliment get a supplimentary nursing system from medela. She will get the formula while on your breast. Good luck!!!
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Ladies, someone not producing enough milk - the 2 oz wouldn't be nearly enough to supply the baby with the 6-8 wet diapers the baby needs. So the 2 oz a day is obviously not for low production or something like hypoplastic breasts.

Who told you to give formula once a day, and why? I've heard of women introducing a bottle of breastmilk every day after the baby is 4-6 weeks - so when they go back to work the baby will take the bottles, but otherwise I don't know why you are using a bottle and 6 days old is too early.

If your doctor was concerned about weight gain and said to give a little formula to help with weight gain.. Chuck that out the window because most doctors are over-zealous about the weight gain thing due to something I like to call "law-suit prevention". If your baby were to get malnutrition because you genuinely have an issue producing, they can say "SEE I told you to supplement". Nasty, isn't it?

Anonymous

• And at 5 days you are likely engorged with milk and have plenty to give baby. HOWEVER - if you don't nurse on demand your supply will drop below what is necessary and you may end up with genuine supply issues. The baby should be nursing a lot and you should be throwing clocks, schedules, and bottles out the window.

It may have been the colostrum diaper count that spurned the supplementation. Sometimes doctors don't realize that breastfed babies may not urinate or pooh as much as formula babies until the milk comes in. They also do not realize that the baby doesn't need to back to birthweight by the time they leave the hospital. These are common misconceptions and if you consult an LC or IBLC or the Breastfeeding Mom's group - you will get it all cleared up.

Put baby to breast and ignore any arguments from baby. You know best!
    Anonymous

• My milk didn't come in until a week or more after my son was born and my son had a difficult time latching on. He was my 4th child and I had never had any problems with my previous kids. The lactation consultant at the hospital got me started with a supplementer so while he was getting formula, he was also getting what little breastmilk I was producing and not being confused by a different nipple. Call your local hospital or La Leche League to see if you can get a supplementer to use until you get your son totally used to breastfeeding.

Answer by missanc at 8:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i'm so sorry you got such horrible advice to supplement. i'd get in touch with a lactation consultant asap. yes it will cost a bit but less than formula costs over a couple of months time =) good luck to you
    Anonymous

• Why were you told to supplement?

With a normal healthy mom, supplementing before your baby is even old enough to have built up your milk supply is like the kiss of death to BFing. You should have been nursing on demand that first week to build up your supply. A brand new newborn baby is designed to live just fine off of colostrum only for the first few days...this was the way nature intended it to be.

The bad news is many babies will not nurse if offered a bottle. They have to work to get milk from your breast, but it flows freely from a bottle. Since it sounds like you have a baby that doesn't want to BF if she knows she can get a bottle, you will have to stop giving a bottle and only offer your breast and see if you can get her nursing again.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2009