Horrible Horrible Rib Pain!!!

I am 26 weeks pregnant and for the last few week have had some rib pain, mostly on the right side. The last few days it has gotten very painful, feel almost like my ribs are on fire from the top to the bottom of my rib cage. Does anyone know anything that helps the pain? Its miserable, what causes this anyways? Baby kicks on right side about middle belly most of the time so its not kicks in my ribs that hurts.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 7:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its all on my right side too lol. IT SUCKS! im 31 weeks. I get on all 4's and stick my rear in the air and rub my ribs in a downward position. . Just dont let your man get any ideas lol. if that doesnt work lay on your left side and drink somethin cold lol
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 8:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I'm 39 weeks and I've been putting up with it since about 25 weeks. There really isn't much you can do. When I got really desperate around that far along I would have sex with SO cause the baby would drop lower during sex. Don't know why but it's the only thing that ever helped me. Sad thing is now he's too long and won't get out of my ribs, he just kicks away at my right side.
    jrsjrb

Answer by jrsjrb at 9:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I had the exact same thing. My midwife said its caused by 2 things. One is your ribs seperating to make room for the baby. I think that's what caused mine. The other thing is that your organs are expanding and pressing up against your ribs.
    The only thing I found to help (other than ice packs) is Arnica Gel. I get it at GNC for like 2 buck a tube. It's like bio freeze or bengay, but it's made out of all natural sources so it isnt harmful and it doesnt smell bad at all. Works like a charm!!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I experienced the same type of pain that you are describing when I was pregnant with baby #1. It started at 24 weeks and I thought I was going to die from the pain... I couldnt breathe, I was having hot flashes and it was HORRIBLE. So I went to the doc and they did an u/s and it was gall stones! At 26 weeks, unless you are very short, your uterus shouldnt be high enough for your baby to kick your upper ribs. Does this pain stay constantly? Or does it come for hours at a time and then disappear? If it comes and goes but lasts for hours each time then I would talk to your OB about the possibility of gall stones
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2009