Is my 9mo turning into a brat?

the last few days, my 9 modd has been screaming and whining whenever she doesn't get her way it seems.... I'm hoping that she's just getting her molars or something (she already has her 8 front teeth) and I even made a doctor's appointment tomorrow to make sure she doesn't have an ear infection or something (she never has) she also will only nurse in a dark queit room with me lately, otherwise she won't focus long enough to nurse. Coul it just be her personality? and that she's becoming bratty? and if so how do I discipline a 9 mo. (I taught nursery school before and I know time out only works for 2 yrs +)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you dont, she is just exploring, she might also be sick. my 9 mth old is the same way. you dont discipline a babybut you can do a firm no if she is hitting or imake a sad and tell ds you make mommy sad and tell him to play nice. but no time outs or anything like that. kidsbeggin to test us at an early age but they dont know right fron wrong till they are about 2.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Doesn't get her way as in... you're not holding her? That's a normal developmental phase. Doesn't get her way as in she screams when you take away something she shouldn't have? Yea... that's just a personality thing. My first never did that and his brother (also 9 months) screams like you hurt him if you take something away from him. No way to discipline... just let her throw her fit and get over it. She's just reacting in the only way she knows how. You can vocalize what she's upset about... but she probably won't understand yet. Just the lesson of crying doesn't get you what you want should be enough for now.

As for nursing in a dark room... also normal for the age. Everything else is soo much more interesting! You might also notice more night-waking to make up for missed milk intake during the day.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My daughter is going through this as well. She constantly wants to be held, and she fussy whenever she doesn't get whatever she wants.
    In my opinion it's kind of the beginning of brattiness. If we give in to them then they will grow up thinking that they get to have whatever they want. Personally, I am nipping it in the bud. I don't give in to her, and just deal with the tears... they usually only last a minute or two, and then she moves on to something else
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 9:23 AM on Dec. 15, 2009