4 year old still wetting himself?

My stepson is 4 and is having reliable accidents during his nap times or whenever else he may fall asleep. I have read that kids can take up to 5 years old to be able to make it through the night dry and that boys are harder to train than girls. Webmd said by 3 most kids are dry, but is having an accident nearly everyday common for a 4 year old? My daughter was making it through the night at 2 years and 8 months. I think that is why I am so suprised to see this. (We are also taking him to a psychologist because I think he has some underlying emotional problems from emotional neglect and possibilyemotional abuse from his mohter and her boyfriends). I want him to grow up to be healthy, happy, and stable and not to be the kid who smells like pee and unwashed clothes at school because that is how he comes over to our house smelling like.
Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm not sure how common it is but my 5 year old stepson wets the bed when he sleeps. I tell him to use the bathroom b4 bed but sometimes he doesnt want to. Even if he does use the bathroom he still wets the bed. I put my 8 month old daughters diapers on him from now on because he continuously does it and his urine is kinda strong. I told my bf maybe he has an infection but his mom won't get him checked.

Oh yea, he recently peed while sitting on his dads lap so idk maybe some kids just get too comfortable I wish I knew why he does this.
    MyBabyScar

Answer by MyBabyScar at 8:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• every child is different. and just like previous poster said to make sure he goes to the bathroom before bedtime. My son just turned 5 and he doesnt wet the bed, i dont give him anything to drink within an hour of him going to bed either.
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 8:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Bedwetting is more common than people think. I only had 1 son so far who wasn't a bedwetter. My dd who is 8 just stopped wetting the bed maybe 4 months ago. My now 4yr old however, still wets the bed every night. What I do is use pull ups for right now. In the morning I have him wash up when he gets dressed, so he won't smell. The doctor said to start the process of stopping bedwetting is to make sure to limit or have no drinks at least 1 hour before bed and use the bathroom before he lays down. It might take awhile, but eventually he'll grow out of it. We have been following the what the doctor said for about 5 months now, and even though he is still wet in the morning, it's not as wet as he used to be and he is starting to get up at least once at night himself to use the bathroom. Just don't make a big deal out of it because he might feel bad.
    table4eight

Answer by table4eight at 10:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• that is sad (the kid that smells like pee -- i teach and Know what you are saying... it is bad!) my 4 yr old boy started making it through the night dry at age 2.5 .. we were done potty training before his 3rd b-day... but he does still have occational accidents because he refuses to stop having fun to go to the bathroom... i am not too hard on him, it happens. bedwetting is more normal to people now. i would have issues cleaning a 4 yr olds pee everynight so i would get him those big kid pulls ups called good nights if it was all the time. along with seeing a psych (which i think is a great idea!) you should get the doc to refer him to get his bladder / kidneys scanned to be sure he doesnt have any physical problem causing it. i had a kid in my class that was a bed wetter because he only had one kidney that worked and they didnt know till 2nd grade because the docs kept telling his mom it was "normal."
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My stepson is 5 years old and wets the bed on a daily basis when he stays over. Even if i send him to pee before bed he still has accidents. It's frustrating because he doesnt want to shower when he wakes up and i have to keep telling him to go in the bath, he just wants to throw his underwear in the hamper n put a new pair on. I think he does this because he is too comfortable in our house. If he were to do it at his mothers house she would smack him. That's just my opinion
    MyBabyScar

Answer by MyBabyScar at 8:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010