Do you teach your children to believe in Santa?

My children know that it's make believe. I never felt right lying to them or making things up. We still watch movies about Santa and Rudolph. We still visit Santa at the mall. We still use wrapping paper with Santa on it. I told them the story of St. Nick and I told them that Santa is pretend like the Little Mermaid. They seem perfectly content and fine. I also don't have the pressure to eat the milk and cookies my kids set out and tell them some strange man came into our house at night while we were asleep. Plus they know that all their gifts came from mom, dad, and their grandparents.

Do you teach your children to believe? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes I did, it was fun for me and the kids. I recently just told my 10 year old that Santa is not real. Well I told her last year but she didn't believe me lol. I have no guilt over it, why should I. It's fun and my kids are not psychologically damaged from it, neither was I
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• yes...and my son is so excited. He did ask me if santa was real (he's only 5 and i didnt want to tell him no) i asked him why he was asking and he said cuz the bad guys in the movie said santa wasnt real...so i told him as long as you believe in your heart that he is real that he can be real
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• When I have kids I plan on doing the whole "santa' thing.. its so fun.. I grew up believing in Santa and I have such great memories of getting sooo excited waiting for santa to come!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Yes I tell my child there's santa. He is 6 years old by the way. I also tell him what the real meaning of christmas as well which is Jesus birthday. I grew up thinking there was a santa as well. I just loved it!!!!! It's something to look forward to and is just pure fun and innocent . Also about you saying you don't want to lie to your child. I'm sure you never told your child a lie? I'm sure you tell your child the truth 100%. For example your child ask you what S*x is your going to tell them every detail right? (ya right) In my opinion I think children are children once let them have a little fun. why spoil it? Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• I am passing on what my parents did for me... Our boys love the Holidays, the magic it brings, and I will continue to let them believe until they find out for themselves. Our 13 yr old son has fun with it, he stopped believing when he was 10, but now he plays along with our 6 and 7 yr old.
    Our 6 yr old came home from school today and said there's a boy who doesn't celebrate holidays, birthdays, etc and he said the little boy was sad today because he won't be able to be at school for the Christmas party because his parents don't want him celebrating it. It's sad... I understand everyone has different beliefs, but to me Christmas is for kids to dream, and have fun, why take that away from them? JMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We will play Santa for our girls. Our daughters are only 2.5 years and 15 months, and the older is just now starting to get into it. I think as long as Santa's not used as a threat or bribe, there's nothing but positive in it. I stumbled across a fairly interesting article about it on-line: http://www.physorg.com/news179429017.html
    I think the author (a pro-Santa child development psychologist) makes a few statements that go a little too far... implying kids without Santa can't be as happy, etc... but the ideas about the good things about the Santa myth both culturally and for the development of young minds are really interesting.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We don't. Don't care what others do.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Nope...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We are not religious and did not plan on telling them Santa was real, but when our daughter was born we changed our minds. For us, Christmas is about giving and family. Santa is like the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. It makes them happy.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 10:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I never told my sons Santa was real, nor have I ever felt the need to tell them he's not real. My boys are 5 and 3, and when they ask if Santa is real, my response is always "what do you think?" For now, they both tell me they think he is real, so I go with it. When they figure out for themselves he's not, than I will go with that.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2009