18 month old suddenly doesnt want to sleep?

Since my ds was 6 months old I have been rocking him for a few mins and laying him down in his crib drowsy and he would just fall asleep. he is 18 months old now and the past couple nights the minute I put him down he screams bloody murder! he is not sick or teething and even when he is he goes right down without a problem. His routine has not changed at all and he is napping anywhere from 2-3 hours a day. Any idea what could be happening here and any suggestions on how to handle it? BTW- he has never once slept with us in our bed so I know it's not that he wants to be in there.

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 9:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did that around the same age too and we could never figure out what it was. It was so frustrating! He would even wake up in the middle of the night wide awake for hours and then wouldn't even want to nap the next day. He eventually got over it after a few weeks and went back to his normal sleeping patterns (normally very good). Maybe it is just a wierd faze for your son and he will get over it too :)
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My son is doing that now and he's 16mths old. It could be separation anxiety kicking in. Sometimes this peaks around this age. It could also be he's going through a growth period, which can throw off a kid's routine. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep reassuring him he's ok and he'll get over it soon :)
    table4eight

Answer by table4eight at 10:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2009