Tell me the truth, ladies! Is this a tacky gift idea??

I was invited to have Christmas lunch at a dear friend of SO's family. She's a lovely woman, and I haven't spoken to her in at least a year. Also invited are SO, his mom, and the friend's daughter + her kids + her husband.

I'm a little broke this year, but I still wanted to bring them something for Christmas. I was thinking about bringing Christmas candy for the kids, and for the three ladies, a gift bag with a bottle of shampoo, lip gloss, a scented votive candle and an herbal tea bag. I'm not sure what to get the daughter's husband just yet.

What do you think? These people are very simple, and wouldn't expect an expensive gift.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• Those sound like really nice gifts! I would love something like that!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I think that sounds nice...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I think that's a great idea. Don't feel bad cuz you don't have a lot of money. It's the thought that counts.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• christmas candy sounds nice but the gift bag is probably something i would just toss to the side unless its a shampoo i use all the time or a lip gloss i absolutely love
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I would love to get something like that! It's simple but thoughtful and won't break the bank.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I'd love it :) Another cheap idea is to bake some cookies for the whole family
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 9:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I say follow theme with the candy. Bake cookies or make a holiday bread. It's inexpensive and everyone loves homemade treats.
    jrsjrb

Answer by jrsjrb at 9:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Hun i dont think its tacky at all. we dont have very much money this year either. i am single, 17 yrs old, and got a baby coming so this really is not a good christmas for my family and i cuz of money, the only good present we may get is my unborn baby. but for our presents to others all we can afford is to make candy/treats so im with you on that :) hope you have a great christmas:)
    Anonymous

• makeup idea is so nice.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• So cute. Hey I made these rice bags. Super simple even if you dont know how to sew well. Sew two pieces of 10 inch squared fabric together (3 sides), fill with 3/4 cup rice, not minute rice, and essential oil. Sew up 4th side. You can microwave for 1-2 mins and its a heating pad to go... very relaxing... Huge hit with my family ;)!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2009