anyone have 1 child that woke frequently for months and months and another child who did sleep well from a younger age?

my son is 2 now but he woke frequently until he was 17 mos old. i mean for most of those mos he woke me up every 2-3 hrs. he would sometimes have a couple of week phases where he would only wake me up a couple times per night but then would go back to waking several times per night again.

i know i will not do anything differently when it comes to night time parenting but i have also heard other moms online say they had one child who woke frequently like that for mos and then they didn't change anything about their parenting and their next child slept through the night at 6 mos.

i expect any baby to wake frequently for the first few mos but i would be so delighted if this baby would sleep through the night from 6 mos on!!!!! :) or just wake less frequently. i'm just 13 weeks pregnant right now. i plan to breastfeed, as i did my son. also i work full time. also we didn't co-sleep. anytime he was in the bed w/ us,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CONTINUED

we (my husband and I) would both just feel so nervous and couldn't sleep at all. co-sleeping just isn't for us. i know that if i could have slept with him in the bed, i probably would have gotten about 500 more hours of sleep in those 17 motnhs!!!

-OP
    Anonymous

• My first was and still is a lousy sleeper. He did get better around 6 months but was always a terror to get to nap and always woke up early. He still does but he is nearly 12 and can entertain himself. His sister was 20 months younger. She slept through the night at 10 weeks. She would wake in the night every once in a while, like with a nightmare or illness. She napped until she was 4.5. A dream. She is 10 and can sleep until 10 if we let her. My 3rd was the best of all. He slept through at 8 weeks and rarely woke at night unless he had an ear infection. And all were breastfed. I kept them in a bassinet next to the bed until they slept through the night.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My first woke every 2 hours on the dot for 14 months. He literally didn't sleep longer than that the entire time. He woke every 3-4 hours until 2 and then started going until about 5am. He's now a much better sleeper (at almost 4), but it's very recent.

My second slept 6 hours for the first time at 3 weeks and that's been pretty regular the entire time outside of the normal phases that effect sleep habits. I could have probably gotten him to "STTN" early on... but I much prefer co-sleeping and him nursing frequently at night. He was a preemie and even going 5-6 hours freaked me out! Now, I like to encourage comfort nursing and night nursing because I know it will prevent early weaning. So... now he probably still does the 5-6 hour stretch with 2-3 wakings on either side of it. He's 9 months old and it works perfect for us... we both sleep great and he gets plenty of milk.

Cont...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:26 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• There is really just a very distinct difference in how they sleep. I never have trouble getting the baby to sleep, but I always had to convince his brother to sleep at all. It's completely, 100% personality... and I promise, unless you get a worse sleeper, it will be 100x easier than what you've already done. I was dreading a new baby for this exact reason and now, if I could be sure they would all be like this, I would have 10 more! :)

My LLL leader just had her second and has experienced the same thing. Awful sleeper the first time and magnificent sleeper the second.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• lol. yes i think it would be much better to have the "bad" sleeper first and then a good sleeper than to have a good sleeper and then a bad sleeper. people who don't have a bad sleeper just think it's something you are doing wrong, or something they wouldn't let go on...

i agree that i would be so nervous if my baby did sleep long stretches early on. i get kind of paranoid about SIDS. waking frequently can be a good thing in the first few mos in my opinion, even if it is hard on the parents.

my son also always nurses at night when he wakes, until recently. he is 2 yrs and 2 months and i think he is starting to wean because now he just seems to nurse sometimes 0 times per day, sometimes 2 times per day, and lots of times when he does wake at night, he just wants me to cover up his feet. lol.

thanks for your replies :) i will be so happy if this baby does sleep well from say 6 months on!!!

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Dec. 15, 2009