Anyone else have a high maintenance Dog?

one bag of dog food costs $30 cuz everything else upsets his stomach. $21 per month health plan that covers all his shots and doctor visits. And $30 for a six month supply of heartworm medication.

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 9:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My golden retriever can only use the IAMs in the red bag because she has a hyperthyroid and therefore has a sensitive stomach. Now, we have put more money into our $20 shelter dog that is 1 1/2 years old than all together on our 8 year old golden retriever. We adopted this dog days before he was going to put down. The third day we spent $800 on a leg amputation, then he got worms, then he had an infected jaw, then we discovered that he had a torn retina, then he got mites ($35 dip once a week for 8 weeks!) now he has fleas! UGH!!!!!!! This dog is SO LUCKY that we adopted him, well really my Husband because when I found out about the amputation, I said put him down, but DH had the leg amputated. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this dog but he is killing our bank account! Hopefully he has all of the illnesses out of the way.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I don't really consider that stuff high maintenance. I pay $58 for a 20 or 25 lb bag of dog food that last 3-4 weeks. I also give monthly heartworm preventative. I do those things because I want them to be healthy and they do well on the food. What I consider high maintenance is that one of my dogs HAS to be covered up when she lays down, but she doesn't know how to get under the blanket herself. So she just stands around whining until someone covers her up. Very annoying when my husband isn't home and I am holding my daughter. And sometimes she'll eat just fine, other times you have to act like you are going to dump it back into the dog food bin to get her to eat. Some meals she just won't eat. She is high maintenance. And maybe a little spoiled. :)
    Anonymous

• OMG I have two! Both my dogs have allergies and one has a disease called Addison's. He needs to be on steroids for the rest of his life. The pitbull is allergic to dust mites and needs a shot every 3 weeks. But since we got rid of our rugs she's been fine.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We have 3 dogs, our 13 yr old(German shepherd) is on daily thyroid meds, our 6 yr old (German Shepherd) just finished antibiotics for something on his lip, and our 2 yr old Siberian Husky will have her last test for Heartworms in February to see if she's clear, she's also been treated for tape worms, hookworms and severe fleas. She started treatment back in October after we found her on a trip we took in Arkansas. So combined with annual shots, heartworm meds, grooming, and things that pop up off and on, they are very expensive, but soooo worth it. They are our babies, so we will do all we can to give them a good life.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009