my 6 month old refuses to take long naps during the day unless she's in the car! otherwise she'll only sleep for about 20 minutes and be ready to go till bed time! any ideas on why this is happening or what i can do to get her to sleep?

gratefulmama050

Asked by gratefulmama050 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's no time limit on long/short a baby should sleep during the day. If this isn't affecting her eating habits, mood, or behaviour in a negative way then there's nothing wrong with it. I understand if you are wanting her to sleep longer, so you can have some time alone, but she might not need more then 20 minutes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My daughter was and is still the same way. She will not napo during the day so honestly I gave up trying! I wld only get frustrated. Her Dr. said she is getting enough sleep at night. SHe sleeps 7-7. Some kids just dont nap. Dont beat yourself up about it.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• One thing you can try to do though is let her play longer. Push her nap to later in the day and keep her as active as you can until then. Also make sure she's getting enough to eat before she goes to bed. If she's not satisfied when she goes down, she'll not sleep very long.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• not nap lol sorry for the typo
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• my kids always slept well in the car..... I'd drive to a local park then nap in the car myself.... its not really a bad thing inconvenient maybe but not bad
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My son is almost a year old and he takes two naps a day and sleeps through the night. He has been this way since he was about 2-3 months old. He eats and plays through out the day. I leave a blanket and pillow on the floor in the living room for him and when he is tired he will go to his blanket on his own and fall asleep when he is tired enough. He is usually awake about 5 30 am. He then takes a nap around 8 30am sleeps for about an hr and take another nap about 2 pm and takes a 2 hr nap. Then about 9 30pm-10pm he is ready for bed and sleeps throughout the night. He has done this since about 2 months old, except he napped more lol.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• my daughter is 6 months almost 7 months and has done this since day one. she is starting to sleep a little more now, but she still would rather be held to sleep during the day. the good thing is, she is still a happy baby and eats well and sleeps 8-10 hours at night ..... which is wonderful since i get up extremely early for work.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• naps...what are those. When you figure that out, let my 9.5 month old know what those are. As my doctor told us, she sleeps great at night no biggie if she does not during the day.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I have no clue why some babies do that. DS does the 20 min nap thing too, until about 6pm then he starts taking longer naps and by 8 or 830 he is out until 7 the next morning. I don't really worry about it, but if you want to simulate the car ride and get her to take a nap then you could try putting her in her carseat and putting it on the dryer while it is running. But you wouldn't want to leave her up there unsupervised. I tried it once when he was sick because it was just too late to go for a drive. Once he got to sleep I took DS still in the car seat to the bedroom and we went to sleep. Good Luck!
    TrystansMom314

Answer by TrystansMom314 at 2:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I'd say she's sleeping that long because that's how long she needs to sleep. Let go of any ideas of how long you think she should sleep, and rejoice in the fact you've got a child who sleeps just as long as she should.
    wildtamer

Answer by wildtamer at 4:06 AM on Dec. 15, 2009