Maybe a dumb question

But I never thought about it before. Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ at Christmas. Why do non-Christians celebrate Christmas? What do you celebrate? I am not bashing non-Christians or anything like that, I just saw a post where people were saying they were non-Christian but still celebrate Christmas so I am honestly curious.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 9:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Any reason to celebrate and get gifts...yes...why not add orgies in there, too? Can't have a holiday without a good orgy. And a sacrifice, preferably human.

That's just ignorant.

Why do Christians celebrate Christmas? For the family? The giving? Helping those less fortunate than yourselves? Everything Jesus stood for, yes? Non-Christians celebrate it for the same reasons. It's evolved beyond the life of one man to affect those of several different religious/cultural backgrounds. I think Jesus would be proud.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• They like any reason to celebrate and get gifts. Probably some pagan thing.
    Anonymous

• Yeah just some pagan thing,lol.... We celebrate the season, Santa Claus, and it's fun for our children. It's about giving to others whether it's bought or made, it's to make someone feel special one day of the year.. Our son has made 7 presents and wrapped them already.. He's really excited.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• At this point, Christmas is more like Father's Day or something. I don't think the religious connotations are really considered by everyone anymore.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Because it's fun and a great way to visit with friends and family. Most of us are so busy if it wasn't for holidays like Christmas and Easter we'd never see anyone except for weddings and funerals!
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 10:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• People choose not to see it as religious anymore.
    Anonymous

• Good answer Dragonrider
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We're Christians and don't celebrate it as the birth of Jesus since it's not. We just celebrate it for the fun. We like decorating, putting up a tree, giving our son gifts, eating, etc. To us its not religious at all.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 10:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Because Christmas is fun. You don't have to be a Christian to enjoy the look on a two year old's face as they see gifts under the tree and realize they get to open them. I'm sure that joy is just as magical for me as a mother who believes in Christ as it is for a mother who doesn't.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I love to celebrate to give thanks and for the kids, the rest of the family and friends you name it it is just a very special time of the year...oh and I also bake a cake for our Lord Jesus Christ.. Happy Birthday Jesus 2009.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2009