What would you do in this situation?

I am 19. I still live w/ my parents. Technically, it's my dad's house but my mom and stepdad live here too (weird, I know). I had my son right out of high school (an oopsie but I love him to death). I work part time and my parents have been hassling me to go back to school so I applied at the local community college and I'm supposed to start in January. My mom babysits while I'm at work and said she would while I'm at school ( I'm only taking a couple classes). I really appreciate her doing that but now she says she needs to go get a job. She says she'll still be able to watch my son but I don't see how. I understand money is tight and her needing a job but why did she want me to go back to school if she was just going to go back on what she said. I don't have enough money to pay a babysitter. I'm not sure what to do. Put school off? (I don't have a problem w/that but I'm afraid of disappointing my family). What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Can you take online classes? Do you qualify for government assistance for daycare or wic? You really don't sound like you want to go to school, working full time and raising a child is more than enough to keep you busy. Add school and then feeling guilty for missing out on time with your little one, it's hard. I was there and I couldn't do it. Luckily I have a good job and some education, research your options. There are some programs that are shorter than others, even some independent study courses. Do you know what you want to go to school for?
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I have no idea what I want to go to school for. I'm just doing a few of the basic classes. And I was going to do online classes and my mom was the one who suggested I go to the college. I even asked her if she wanted me to go to the main campus (45 mins away) so he could just stay in daycare and she said no I should go to the one near home (15 mins away) and she would watch him.
    Anonymous

• See if the college has a daycare some esp community colleges do. Do online what you can and use the daycare for the rest. Don't put off school. Don't use the road blocks as excuses not to go.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Most schools have onsite child care. Nothing is more important than getting your degree. If you are not getting child support, you need to file.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• the dad is still in the picture but he goes to school in pa monday through thursday
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2009