How can I help my overly shy 8 y/0 son?

My son is changing schools this year, a private school, He is doing a soccer camp now and is just so shy; he cries everyday when I make him stay, but the coach says he has fun and participates when I leave? Any tips for me, I feel awful for making him stay, but I think its the best thing in the long run. Thanks!

SunnyD3

Asked by SunnyD3 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 25, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just keep up what your doing. My son is the same way, they eventually get over it. I also had my son in soccor and is was great for him. Keep up the good work Momma, and keep him in alot of activities!
    mikeysmom989

Answer by mikeysmom989 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Two things could help the shyness. Homeopathic medicine and Juice Plus a whole food nutraceutical. My son has high functioning autism and he was very shy before we started him on it. After getting him on it he improved in so many ways, and one of those was him becoming less shy and standing up for himself. Juice Plus would also be great for your son since he is doing sports. Our children need extra nutrients when they are exercising in sports. My email address is eileen4jp@prodigy.net if you would like to know more. Eileen
    EileenMarie

Answer by EileenMarie at 10:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• If the coach says your son has fun when you leave and participates, I don't think your son is shy. I think he more likely suffers from separation anxiety. But as soon as you are out of sight he is ok. My kids used to do that when they were little and I would drop them off at daycare. I felt so bad leaving them when they begged me not to go and would cry their little eyes out. Everytime though the daycare worker would say they were fine as soon as I walked out the door.. They eventually grew out of it. Just continue to reassure your son you will be back to pick him up and give him a kiss and a hug and a smile.
    dunkley4

Answer by dunkley4 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Try him in a Taekwondo Class. My son is shy too but it has helped him alot! He loves it.
    wandep

Answer by wandep at 10:03 AM on Jun. 26, 2008