What Would You Ask?

What questions would you ask a potential Doctor for your children? We recently moved to a new state and I need to find a Doctor for my boys and the baby I'm expecting. I have a list of Doctors their insurance will cover but I want to interview Doctors not just pick one off a list.

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 10:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• how long have you been a doctor, where did you graduate from, have you ever had your license revoked, what are your hours, are you available by pager or do i have to go to an urgent care center in case of a sudden illness. Thats all i can think of for now.

LL
    Anonymous

• We delay vaccinations because of our 2nd born. I would ask how he felt about that! I would also want to know how important MY concerns or thoughts are. My current family doctor is WONDERFUL. He trusts us as parents and if we are concerned about something he looks into it. Other doctors in his group are the same way. They trust a mother's instinct - and I really appreciate that!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• In my opinion call and talk to the receptionist. If she is nice and professional the Dr. usuually is too. If I call a place to make an appt and the recep is rude, that's a dealbreaker.
    Anonymous

• Three years ago, I was in the same boat you're in now. I just called and made an appointment for my baby's 1st appt. If I like the Dr., I continued to take my baby for his appts. If I didn't like the Dr. I looked around until I found one that I liked.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You need to ask questions that will help you determine whether or not this doctor is a great fit for your medical philosophy. Do you prefer doctors who are warm and fuzzy or more business-like? Do you follow the doctor's recommendations for vaccinations, or do you prefer a selective / delayed schedule, or are you a non-vaxing family? Do you want your doctor to order single dose, preservative free vaccines? If you take your child to the doctor with every runny nose, you should find one with weekend walk-in hours. Do you lean towards alternative / integrative medicine?

For us, a pediatrician was never considered. We have a family doctor (spouse, daughter, me, sister and family, several friends) in the true sense of the word. She has a daughter a year older than ours, which makes the fit even better.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2009