membrane stripping

I have heard a little about it but don't know much. Is it standard procedure? when do they do it? I gather they can only do it if you're already dilating, right?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I only know so much as well, but this is what I do know. They will only do it after 37-38 weeks. They shove their hand up there and scrape to strip your membranes. What that does is it tells the body to go ahead and start doing what it needs to to go into labor. This doesn't always start labor, but it can help.

That may not have been much help, but that's what I do know.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My doc was going to do it at 38 weeks (my water broke the day before my appt). Some docs dont even do it though. They just take their finger and scrape the membranes. You are supposed to start getting contractions soon after IF your body is ready to go into labor. Some people say it hurts really bad and others say its not horrible.
    Ambereno144

Answer by Ambereno144 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My OB didnt do it with my first but my OB did it with my second. Its usually done at every appt after 37 weeks if you have a doc that opts to do it. Yes you have to be dilated because they take their finger and move it between the bag of waters & your uterus in a circular motion. It didnt work for me, or anybody I personally know, but if doctors still do it, I am sure there is a benefit to it. I had mine done at 4cm and twice at 5 cm
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:32 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I will NEVER EVER let them do this to me EVER again!! I had it done at 41 wks and it hurt like a bitch! Please pardon the language, but thats the only way to say it. And it did nothing. I didnt end up going into labor til 42w 2d.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 2:35 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• there is a good article on the Cochrane collaboration website. just google it. there is a risk of premature rupture of membranes, so personally i wouldn't do it. i would only consider it if there was a real medical need to induce, i might try that before going with drugs. but i mean a real reason, not because i was past due date, or baby was suspected to be big. it is really up to you, but do some research on the pros and cons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2009