My chihuahua is 1 yr, is it too late to crate train??

CaityMarie

Asked by CaityMarie at 11:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Pets

• No,it is never to late.Start by putting him in the crate for short peroids of time.Provide a crate pad/bed,a toy,and water if it is going to be a long time.I also gave my crated dogs a cookie when they went into the crate.Good luck and don't give up.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 12:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• ^ I agree.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 7:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Nope it is never to late. I rarely adopt puppies anymore, because there are just to many adults that need homes plus i foster. I have never had an issue when it came to crate training. Somes dogs can be more of a challanege like if they have seperation anxiety or have accidents in the crate. But it is still doable. Just make sure that your dog can only stand up, turn around and lay down. If the crate is to big they will sleep in one corner and have accidents in the other. I have come across dogs that will still have accidents in the crate even when it is the correct size. If that happens you need to go to the next size down for a few weeks to teach them not to go in the crate. That does not happen often though. I have worked with many dogs and have only come across this issue a handfull of times.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• No. I have found that dogs usually like being crated and take to it pretty quickly.

We had never crated our dogs before and then 2 years ago we adopted a 4 month old from a shelter and she came with a crate. Our other 3 dogs (then 13, 5 and 5) all kept sneaking in to her crate if we left the door to it open. They loved it. Sometimes we'd find all 4 dogs crammed inside it which was quite funny. A year ago my friend moved and she offered us her crate so we took it since we knew the other dogs would use it. Our 2, 7 & 7yo's go in as soon as I turn the lights off at night, they know it's bedtime. They go in it when we all put our shes and jackets on because they know it's time to go in there. We don't even lock it but they stay in it until morning/when we get home. Our 15yo often goes in and shuts the door on his own. And we recently adopted a 3yo and she took to the crate after night 2 & now goes in like the other 3.
    Anonymous