breastfeeding question

my daughter is almost 15 weeks and for the last 2 nights she has had a seven hour stretch of sleep at night. Mostly because she is awake ALL day. I nurse her for about 8- 12 minutes 7-9 times a day. should i wake her at night to eat?? Im so worried to lose my milk supply which happened with my first and was very difficult to overcome. Any suggetions or thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From personal experience I would say LET HER SLEEP and Thank God she is sleeping!! I worried when my son started sleeping through the night at 3 weeks old, and worried until he was 5 months old, and then finally started waking him every night to feed. Well, my supply never dropped even when I wasn't waking him, but once I started waking him he never went back to sleeping through the night. He is 12 months old and still wakes up to nurse 1-2 times a night. I really think your supply will be fine, just nurse right before baby goes to bed and as soon as she wakes up!
    Mep291

Answer by Mep291 at 12:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You know- I've been breastfeeding for 11 months and I had to over come a huge breast feeding struggle when i couldn't make enough... I think if you wake her up like 3 hours in and keep the room dark and let her nurse.. she might just go back to sleep when she's done... i would try it because if you can get her to keep eating then thats great.. and if not then you could always start pumping after she's fallen asleep... good luck momma
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i personally wouldn't wake her but if you are concerned about your milk, maybe you could wake up in the middle of the night and pump a couple oz to keep your supply.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 2:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Never wake a sleeping baby...

I went through a supply issue (I was working full time) and started getting up in the middle of the night to pump; it was disasterous because I was even more exhausted.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I'm not sure about getting up to pump... If you increase your supply to a point where you have too much milk you run the risk of clogged milk ducts and Mastitis. As someone who had Mastitis 6+ times with 103 temps, painful nursing, and horrible body aches I can tell you it's not fun. That can make it even harder to maintain a breastfeeding relationship. (By the way, I nursed through it all and am still nursing my 23 month old)

Just trust your baby and your body. Nurse her on demand, your body will compensate for the ups and downs. It's a supply and demand thing. If she suddenly starts waking up and wanting to eat in the middle of the night your body will just start producing more milk.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2009