Constantly sick...

I have three rather young children. The oldest two are in day care. We have been constantly sick since Sept. All including stomach flu, swine flu, ear infections and I lost count with how many colds. The latest thing is pink eye in all three. When is it going to end??? I feel like I have a germ cloud over us!

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• They are getting one on top of another (colds, that is). The daycare promotes this. You might ask them what cleaning measures they take weekly or daily, if any. Our preschool was actually very clean and clorox wiped the desks each day and weekly did the cubbies with industrial stuff. Had hand gel around and asked kids to handwash frequently.

Are you clean at home? Handwashing? all that stuff? Could just be cause they are little. I know how frustrating it is.
    Anonymous

• My pediatrician told me that when children are young (5 and under) they average 13 colds/sicknesses a year and those are usually grouped in the winter months so it seems like they are always sick. My daughter who is 9 has had pink eye every year since she was born! It does get better but for me it wasn't until about age 6 when my daughter seemed to finally build up an "immunity" to all the germs/colds. Now she only gets sick about once a year. It will get better...I promise!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• From the time my daughter started preschool, she was noticably sick less often and for shorter durations than her classmates. She had H1N1 in May: 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.

We focus on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this: With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves? According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children. Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_.  The children were treated twice daily for 6 months... Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328 

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Vitamins help.

Anonymous