whats wrong with my cat?

I know the best method is to visit the vet, which I will do on wednesday. for now, I'd like to see if i can get some advice online. We have fleas in the house. I vacuum all over, under and in the furniture, carpet, bedrooms, whatever my cat gets into contact with. we cant afford frontline or advantage right now, but even back in the day when I bought the 6 months supply, they didnt all go away. well I gave my cat a bath tonight (baby oil then dawn) and I saw no fleas go down the drain. a few weeks ago I tried a flea shampoo...nothing. He constantly scratches himself and has cuts in certain spots because of that. I feel so bad for him. well the baths do seem to relieve him for a bit. he doesnt scratch himself. Because of this, I am wondering if maybe it isnt fleas afterall? like maybe just really dry skin or maybe the fleabites are driving him nuts???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Pets

• You can try feeding the cat garlic for the fleas, fleas don't like garlic in their food supply =) My in-laws started feeding their flea ridden dog garlic once a week and the dog grew back hair where she's been bald for ages because of scratching at fleas.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My cat is allergic to them, so one flea bite can leave her pulling out her hair for two weeks. Maybe that's it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My best guess would be that the baths themselves are irritating his skin. I always heard that baths are bad for cats because they wash away the natural oils that are good for their skin and coat. My cats rarely rarely get a bath (my one outside cat gets one after summer is over and he starts to stay inside more often). Our "kitten" has never had a bath and he is over a year old.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:05 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i agree that you're not suppose to bathe a cat often. We bathe ours maybe twice a year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• If you had a flea infestation that was that bad, you would certainly know it. We had fleas for the first time a couple years ago and they started biting us and it was horrible! I was told one way to know if you have fleas is to put on a pair of white socks (preferably knee socks if you have them) and just walk around on your carpet. They will jump onto your feet/legs and you will soon see these tiny little black things all over you. But I would not give the cat any more baths either. It isn't good to do that often. And the home sprays, etc. did not work for us. We sprayed, bombed the house 2x, tried it all. We ended up having to get some crazy chemicals from my husbands work to kill them (which I wouldn't recommend). Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• The best thing I've found is plain old Borax, the kind you buy in the laundry aisle. I have a lot of pets and last summer the fleas were terrible. I only did one room of the house at a time, and the yard every two weeks or so *because of all the rain). Sprinkle it everywhere, even on hardwood floors or tile, leave it for 24 hours and than vacuum really well. For the yard (if you have dogs or your cat goes outside) just sprinkle it everywhere!

If you aren't seeing any fleas though, it's possible your cat has allergies to something else ~ probably food or a cleaning product. The only economical way to check is to eliminate things and than gradually add them back.

And, the other mom is right. If it's fleas, a single bite can make them miserable for weeks. Don't use steroids ~ ask your vet about Chlortrimeton (chlorpheniramine). You can buy it at any drugstore and it's a lot safer than prednisone, etc.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:38 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Stop bathing your cat...especially with... DAWN?!? What could possible be harsher than that?? Bleach?? Lol.. If you had fleas that bad you would SEE them. Since you don't, I am betting that its a combo of allergies and those darn baths you are giving mr. Whiskers. Go see the vet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• dawn is what the vets say to wash you pets in now it is perfectly safe i wouldnt buy the harts brand or any other brand that you can get in the grocery stores vets told me to stop using that stuff altogether because it was causing medical issues with pets and i wouldnt use baby oil on any pet and i agree with the garlic thing it really helps and when you are able to afford a good flea med i recommend advantage multi i put one drop on each of my pets then the rest of the tube i drip on the carpets before i found that stuf my one white cat looked like his fur was moving he had so many fleas not anymore though multi worked like a charm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• garlic can kill cats. as can onions. dont feed your cat garlic! use 10% tea tree oil to 90% water and spray him with it. use bag balm for his scabs but not a ton. otherwise just wait til wed to see what the vet says.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I would suspect allergies. If an animal is allergic to flea bites, all it takes is ONE bite to cause a reaction. I also agree, though, that if there were fleas on your cat or in your house, you would see them. Look on your cat's stomach and in the folds of skin between the legs.  Do you see anything that looks like specks of dirt? Pick some off and put it on a paper towel.  If it turns red, it is "flea dirt".  If your cat/house doesn't have fleas, your cat could be allergic to something in its food or in the environment (cleaners, chemicals, detergent, etc).

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 7:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2009