Circumcision or Not?

Should I have this done to my son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is such a personal choice. It's common in other parts of the world not to do it. We did both our kids because we live here in the USA. Less work, fit in better in the locker room and that sort of thing but it is just personal preference.
    Anonymous

• Only you can answer that. You will find a lot of people who feel strongly either way.
    Personally, we did not circumcize our son. Our reasoning: we had no cultural/religious reason to do so. No one in dh's family is circumcized, and no one has ever had an issue. The care of an uncirc'd infant is the same as a circ'd infant- it's actually harmful to retract the foreskin on an infant and can cause infection. Once the foreskin retracts on it's own, all the care it needs is to be rinsed underneath during a bath or shower- my son could do this himself by the time he was three or four. In our province the circ rate is about fifty-fifty so he would have plenty of company either way. Basically we saw no compelling reason to do surgery, even minor surgery, and so we didn't. But that was our conclusion- you'll need to do your own research and decide what you think is best.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Not
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• That is entirely up to you. It is no longer considered medically necessary for health (which is why it became so popular there for a while), it can cause more infections because removing the foreskin can allow extra bacteria to enter the urethra, & in my state it is not covered by insurance anymore because it is now under cosmetic surgery (which can be a deciding factor for some). Some also decide to allow their son to "be like daddy" so if he is or not the son will be the same. I did not to do it to my son, I find it to be more of a hassle than not & I don't want to put my lil guy through something that is not needed just because it is "popular".
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• what does his daddy have? i did it to my son, because i wanted to be the same as his dad. i thing it would be confusing to be different
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Confusing to be different? Just how stupid do you think kids are? Every body is different. Little boys don't have whiskers...are they confused about that? Of course not! it's like getting a little girl breast implants so she won't be confused about her flat chest.

OP, i would never do it. the foreskin has a function. Do some serious research on it--watch the hard videos too. Because you can't give it back once you take it away.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I'd say yeah, just a personal choice
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Geez amileegirl - you don't have to be so harsh. The previous post was just giving HER opinion. She is entitled to that, right? I'm sorry, but I just don't think the personal attacks are necessary. This is meant to be a place where adults have friendly discussions, not attack each other.
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 1:23 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We did. But it is a personal choice. You should do some research on it and make an informed decision. Though if you decide to have it done, ask your Dr which method does he/she use. Our Dr used the Plasti-Bell (I think that's right) and it was great. There is no cutting involved just a plastic ring. DS didn't even cry when it was done!
    TrystansMom314

Answer by TrystansMom314 at 2:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i left that decision entirely to my husband. my view is that i wanted him to be, but i view myself as "not equipped" to make that decision as long as his dad is alive. anything having to do with male parts is one thing that i leave solely up to him. he decided to have our boy circ'd. i won't joke, it was painful to hear my baby cry in actual pain. he's 6 weeks now. that first 24 hours afterward, he would pee, it would hurt so he would scrunch up his feet. that would in turn hit his sore spot and so he would scrunch up more, which would keep hitting it. on and on it went, until a couple days later it all went away and got better. i and i would definitely disagree with the PP who said that little boys don't get confused as to why they don't have whiskers. i am very female, born female in every way. when i was 3 my mom caught me in their bathroom using my dad's razor to shave my face. just like my dad did every morning
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 4:01 AM on Dec. 15, 2009