what works the best for heartburn?

I am 8 months pregnant and up until a month ago I thought I was lucky enough to not have heartburn..Yeahhh riggght! First it was just due to spicy or greasy foods but now its everything. My midwife told me to chew papaya enzyme tabs which work about half the time. Any other suggestions?

hillma

Asked by hillma at 12:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• try a teaspoon of baking soda in about one cup of cold water. it taste bad, but it usally works. good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Ask about TUMS or Mylanta..........check with your doctor first though!

Good luck! I used to lay down and aout vomt from heart burn over the simplist of foods I ate! HATED it. I took tums with calcium.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• that should have read.......*about to vomit* keyboard playing up..need to clean it out!

I also slept elevated at times too! Propped up with pllows after that happened!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• TUMS! omg it saved my life when i was pregnant with the twins!!!
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• alkaseltzer, the heart burn was horrific with the twins and when prilosec didn't help alkerseltzer did!!! Plain or heartburn relief works best. You have to try things out to see what works best for you, because just like every pregnancy is different so are our bodies! Relief is on the way. 1 month and counting until you're comforable again, yay!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Sleep with your head elevated at night! Not a little use 2 or 3 pillows! This will work I swear! And try a glass of milk or eating a piece of plain bread. Not toasted just plain. It absorbs some of the acid! I dealt with such bad heartburn they put me on nexium! Best meds ever!!
    DarthPink

Answer by DarthPink at 1:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• DON'T USE BAKING SODA! IT IS ALL SALT! TRY MAALOX OR TUMS, OR ASK YOUR DOCTOR--HE WILL TELL YOU NOT TO USE BAKING SODA!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• tums are perfectly safe as long as you stay within the recommended dosage. my heartburn got so bad that they had to put me on zantac. it works beautifully!!! try sticking to the tums, milk and such if you can but if it doesn't work ask your midwife. there are options that are strong enough to kick the heartburn that are safge during pregnancy.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• my dr told me to use malox max i have heartburn anyway that im on heavy meds for that i couldnt take when i was preg so i took those they helped me out
    orchidstar1

Answer by orchidstar1 at 3:33 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I tried just about everything. I hate milk, but milk was my answer. I drank so much of when I was pregnant. Esp. the last 2months or so. I even took a gallon of milk to work with me, so I would have it at work! Good luck and I'm sorry!
    TrystansMom314

Answer by TrystansMom314 at 3:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2009