So tired of my mom's complaining!!

It is almost like clockwork now, every other week my mom complains and complains about how she is so broke and has NO money at all. She is a SAHM to two teen girls and my dad has a very good job with a huge corporation. He makes nearly $200,00 a year. So every other week she gets $4,000 deposited into her bank account, and she doesn't even pay the mortgage with that! My dad pays the mortgage with his retirement money from the Army. So she only pay the little bills with it. They have no car payments. She squanders the money away every paycheck on crap. A week after payday is when she calls and starts complaining. She goes on and on about having no money for a whole week.
What they do with their money is obviously not my business. The part that gets me is that we are broke. DH was laid off a yr ago. We both work for a measely minimum wage jobs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• I am a firm believer in SAHM with young kids and have been devestated about having to leave my two young sons five days a week. Even with us both working our asses off we still hardly scrape by and have fallen behind on many bills. It is just so annoying that she chooses me to call and b**** to when she knows very well the situation we are in. We would be wonderful living off of $4,000 a month let alone every other week!!

I would love to tell her where to shove it. The problem is she is sooooo sensitive. I know if I were to say anything she would be overly offended and tell everyone what a horrible, mean person I am. Than she would just be rude to me for a long, long time. Another huge problem is that she is generous with her money. She will take me and DH out to dinner and buy our kids clothes and toys occasionally. She has even helped us out with a few bills in the past when they have been shut off due to non payment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• So I am in the "don't bite the hand that feeds you" situation, but I am so fed up with her griping when she has the life most of us would kill to be in.

I would also like to add I don't ever ask her for money or to buy us things. She does it on her own. Most of the time when she asks if we need anything turn her down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I think she goes through buyer's remorse, where they spend frivolously and regret it once they see how little or no money is left. I too wish I was in that kind of situation! I think she needs to learn money management! I would lovingly ask her to look into some sort of program geared towards older folks that need to get a better handle on their spending(she's going to resist the idea but tell her how beneficial it could be an how she can see where her money goes.). These are just some ideas/ and oppinions!!! No cruelty or disrespect intended.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• She may not be broke at all. She may be just telling you that she is so that you won't ask her for money or to make you think that she's in the same boat as you. Whatever her reasons are, you don't have the power to make her stop complaining. What you can do is start thinking differently about whatever she says. Make up your mind to not let her comments affect you one way or the other. If I were you, I'd probably even make some little jokes about it. Humor always helps me handle things better, especially the unpleasant ones. If you joke about it and it makes her mad, maybe then she will stop her moaning just so she doesn't have to hear your funnies.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• When my dd gets tired of hearing me complain about anything she just tells me she's tired of hearing about it. Easy as that.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:24 AM on Dec. 15, 2009