still has a bottle, is that bad??

with my son, who is now almost 5 we took the bottle away the day after his first bday. they suggest doing that. it was not a problem at all. but now my daughter who is 14 months still wants it when she goes to bed. she has two bottles a day. one at nap and one at bed. she uses sippy cups during the day, sort of...i used to be so pro getting rid of the bottle.....now its so different, what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give her water in her bottle. if you give her milk or formula in her bottle and let her sleep with it it can cause bottle rot (tooth decay).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• yeah, i do always make sure that i get the bottle when she is done and asleep...oh, and i never ever give her juice in a bottle....but i just dont know if its absolutly necessary to not let her have them at all
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Babies have a natural urge/need to suck until they are between 2-3 years old. I don't think there's a problem with having an occasional bottle, especially if it's needed for comfort. That being said, they shouldn't have a bottle of anything but water to sleep with, it can cause "bottle-rot". Their teeth should be brushed after the last milk or juice bottle.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• The real problem is the nighttime bottle with milk in it unless you're planning on brushing her teeth after the bottle or filling it only with water.. Otherwise, work on getting her off before you end up with teeth problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• well my dd was off the bottle cold turkey the day she turn one
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• my daughter is 12 months old and still on her bottle....i'm in the same boat as you.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Every parent and doctor is different. I have a headstrong 15 month old that won't even let me put faster flowing nipples on the bottles. I hear a lot of people say one, and I would have loved to be done with bottles at one, but some kids don't let go of the baba as easily. Our pediatrician said a good guideline is to have bottles and binkies gone by 18 months, so our goal is based on that suggestion. I'm giving her the chance to make the change on her own, but If she doesn't progress to the sippy in the next couple of months, I'm just going to get rid of all the bottles and give her sippy cups only.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2009