taking laxatives while pregnant?

(TMI) Sorry. I am very clogged up, i can barley get a BM once a week, my doctor gave me stool softeners but they are not seeming to do the trick, i was just wondering if i took a laxative if it would be harmful for the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They have some that you can insert inside of yourself. Im pretty sure they wont hurt you or the baby! Just ask your doctor first! Its umcomfortable but hey ya gotta do whatcha gotta do!
    DarthPink

Answer by DarthPink at 1:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You cannot take laxatives! Laxatives cause spasms, which can really harm the baby. Stool softeners, fiber, and water are all you need. Constipation is very common in pregnancy. DarthPink is referring to an enema, and your doctor may okay one of those, but that's different from a laxative.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My doctor told me to take milk of magnesia. Call the ob's office and ask about that.
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 3:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Have you examined your diet?
    Cut way back on meat, dairy, sugar, simple grains (white flour, white rice, etc.) and bananas
    Eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, drink lots of water.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• There are glycerin suppositories which can "lube up" everything down there and soften it so it's easier to eliminate.. Eat a lot of fiber and drink a lot of water, too. That will help.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:30 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I am using prunes. Never liked the taste but they do the trick and are natural. If you decide to try this..get the individually wrapped ones...called sweet ones or something...makes is super easy to toss a couple in your bag for the day. I usually eat them around 2-3pm...by 5-6pm its off to the ladies room lol! Good luck!
    DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 8:00 AM on Dec. 17, 2009