What do you think of a 11 year old writing about drugs?

My 6th grader came home today from school and told me she has to write a report on drugs. If hers is the best she will get $100 gift card to walmart. I think is great that they are teaching kids about drugs as long as the teacher is very informmed which we have a drug cop who came in today to talk to them.

Basgans

Asked by Basgans at 2:01 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I started talking to my kids about drugs as soon as they were old enough to ask questions. I think it's great for an eleven year old to be writing about drugs.....if she does her own research, it may have more impact on her than just listening to an adult tell her about them.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:05 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I think the more informed children are, the better. My dh and I have talked to all of our children, ages 17, 12 & 9 about drugs and the effect they can have on your life. Plus it is a perfect opening for you to generate your own discussion with your daughter on the subject!
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Know where you stand or you'll fall for anything.

I think it's really smart to get kids in this age group thinking about drugs before they're confronted with them. I think it's one of the best defenses against teenaged drug use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Sad to say, any 11 year old probably knows more about drugs, whether or not they use them, than we do!
    Heartlight617

Answer by Heartlight617 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My 11 yr old just came home last night and said they had to write a report on either alchol, tobacco, or drugs. He's having to do it for DARE though and it's a report for them to "graduate" out of DARE. The only diffrence is that his is an oral report and it has to be a minute and a half long and he gets tickets to a baseball game. i think it's okay because they are trying to teach them why they are bad and not to do them.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• While I think it is sad that our kids have to face these kinds of issues so young it is the reality of life in the modern world. I think of these types of things as tools for our kids. A good education, good parental involvement, and good choices by the child are the keys. By having them do something with the information it makes it more real to them. They say that only about 10-15% of what we see or hear stays with us. By having the children do something with the information it greatly increases that percentage. As long as parents don't think that this eliminates their responsibility then it's a great idea, without the parents it's an uphill battle for the educators

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I think education about anything is good. The more a child knows about the reality of drugs he/she will know that it's not as glamourous as movies and videos make it look like.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I love that she has to do this. She knows about drugs because we have set her down and talked to her about it I think it is so important for young children to know what Drugs can do to them and there family's..I hope all the kids get something out of this and think hard about it so maybe they will never do them. I have never done drugs and never will because they destored my faimly when I was 9 years old..
    Basgans

Answer by Basgans at 4:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My kids have to face things in elementary school that I didn't really face until I was in high school. I think it's great the schools are getting the word out for the children to learn what this stuff is all about .
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 10:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• at 11 years old, many kids have already used some sort of drugs or alcohol...this should be done more around the age of 8 or 9....with that said, i make my 9 year old son research topics like drugs reguarly. then he tells me what he has learned. then we discuss how that information fit into our family's value set...by age 11 he could probably give an hour lecture the way he likes to talk...lol....and i think it is WONDERFUL!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2009