TMI, have you had this problem while breastfeeding?

I had my two weeks of bleeding after giving birth with an emergency c-section. OB checked me out and said "all is well" and sent me home with a clean bill of health. the next thing i know, i start bleeding again, stop and so on reoccurring two more times. my doc put me on 5 days of progesterone and i was supposed to start a single period (i'm exclusively breastfeeding) within 5-10 days. i've had some cramps and really bad stomach problems but no bleeding.... any one else have this issue? what was it? did those symptoms go away without help? i have a doc appt in 2 days

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You saw your dr at 2 weeks? You can bleed off and on for up to 8 weeks.

I don't know anything about the progesterone... never took the pill or anything while BFing. I might get a second opinion.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:16 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Yeah you'll spot every now and then for weeks so don't worry its normal.. i never took progesterone either sry
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I stopped bleeding after two weeks, then started bleeding again a few weeks later. I got checked out and everything was fine. I exclusively breastfed my son, too, and I didn't get my period until he was 9 months old. (a month after we introduced solid foods) I'm not sure why your doc would give you progesterone. Was it supposed to stop the bleeding or is it birth control? I know while breastfeed if you want a birth control pill you can only take a progesterone only pill. Pills with estrogen will mess up your milk supply.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• The progesterone is to control your periods/bleeding like other bc does but like pp said only it is safe, not estrogen. I'm bf exclusively & on progesterone as a bc & am 7 mo post. I've had irregular periods since giving birth, when I'm supposed to bleed I don't. Your body's working all its hormone levels back out & even though the bc will influence your cycle it won't take over & control it. Listen to your body, don't worry bout the meds, you'll bleed when your body's ready to. I still get cramps when I'm supposed to be bleeding but no blood. I just ended a 5 day period that happened in the middle of my pill cycle. Its all normal.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• bleding is normal i bleed for 87 wks with my first and4 withmy second. why did u have ur pp visit so soon is usually 6 wks regardless if you had a c-section orv vaginal birth
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• OP here: my family doc is the one that doubled as my OB during my pregnancy. when i needed an emergency c-section he had an OBGYN come in. she's the one that requested i come in 2 weeks after to make sure no infections were there. she wasn't planning on seeing me again since she wasn't my doc. i get now that the bleeding can be extended for a long period of time, but now my concern is more the fact that i was supposed to have my period after i stopped taking the pills (5 days worth). it's been 2 weeks now and no bleeding...
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I had a C-section and bled for exactly 6 weeks after. Then stopped just for a few days. I had the Mirena put in and my doctor said I might get a period and I might not. But some women while breastfeeding don't get a period if they are on birth control or not. Me, I will spot very very little for a few days every other month. I also get cramps and feel like I'm on my period, but it's just a little bit of spotting. I don't know if it is the birth control or the breastfeeding. If you are really concerned talk to your doctor again.
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 2:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2009