5oz every 3hrs ... normal for a 2month old??

My lil guy recently started eating large portions closer together, & I'm not sure if this is normal or not. He was eating about 4oz every 4hrs or so until around the time we switched him to Enfamil Gentlease, & then he started finishing up 5oz a feeding & wanting to eat every 3hrs on the dot (with the exception of a 6-8hr stretch in the wee hours of the morning)! This has been going on for about a week now...is this something to be expected now? Is it because of the switch in formula? He just turned 2months today...

(& please, this is not a formula vs breastfeeding question - no drama please)

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 3:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i personally chose to BF but i'm hoping the info i learned might be able to help either way. the lactation consultant that i talked to made mention of cluster feedings. babies go through times where they can feed up to every hour for part of the day and then longer stretches that hopefully land during night or whenever you sleep. (we're on graveyard schedule due to my hubby's schedule) my LO eats just about every 2 hours on the dot every day from 11am to 12 am. he then sleeps till around 6am to feed and then all repeats itself. last time he ate from a bottle (at 5 weeks), he was taking around 4-4.5 oz per feeding. i've heard that FF infants generally take more oz so i would say that your LO is right on top of it. sounds to me like there's a growth spurt on the horizon. have fun and enjoy.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 4:11 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• all babies are different but it sounds about normal and keep in mind that infants go through growth spurts alot in the first year his eating habit will fluctuate just before a growth spurt he will prolly eat more then not so much through the spurt or even the other way around
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• yea it sounds normal...my oldest was eating 3oz every two hours immediately after she was born! i remember the nurse coming in to check the bottle and being surprised and happy at the amount....and growth spurts WILL trigger eating habits...i remember my daughter finishing an 8oz bottle when she was only 3 months old....she only did it a couple times and then went right back down to her normal amount....but then shot up a size...LOL its possibly a growth spurt...the ONLY other thing is the new formula is so easy to digest hes hungry sooner...that's always a possibility.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• my almost 3 month old drinks 6 oz every 3 hours!!
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 8:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My brother just had a baby and I know that a 1 week old baby is supposed to get 20 oz. a day so I think your baby should be eating more in one feeding
    Lynn1575

Answer by Lynn1575 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 15, 2009