My 2 year old is fat!

I have put her on skim milk, we only eat fruit and vegetables now and we are going for walks everyday.. do you know of anything else i can do to skinny her up? Shes 2 and almost 30 lbs. Shes a chunker.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Has the dr said anything regarding her weight? DS2 is 22 mos and he's over 30 lbs... but his dr doesnt seem concerned. As long as the child eats healthy (whole milk though - it has things in it growing children need) and keep them away from the cookies and candy, they should be OK. Unless the dr is concerned about "slimming her down", you shouldnt be... why give her an unhealthy self-image and a complex so young? She should be enjoying life instead of worrying about her weight.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Are you really only eating fruits and veggies? Your child really need grains and proteins as well. Skim milk is great. Children over 2 no longer need the milk fat. She may just be in between a growth spurt. At this age and as long as she is eating a healty well balanced diet and remains active, you don't need to worry about getting her skinny. As she grows her body will change.
    MommyCakesinTX

Answer by MommyCakesinTX at 9:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I agree, as they get older they normally fill out. My daughter was always a big girl and now she is a tall 40 pound 4 year old and not fat at all. She may be about to grow. My daughter would get really heavy and then sprout up and be thin. I wouldn't worry about it unless the Doc is worried. Why make her worry about wieght now, she has the rest of her life to worry about it. : )
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• my son is 2 and he is 30 lbs. so i don't think that your child is fat. its NORMAL! Dont' worry about it!
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 9:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Are you sure she's fat?? My son at 2 was over 30 lbs and he definitely isn't fat. Depends on how tall your daughter is. If your doctor is concerned, he/she should be able to provide guidance. Kids do go through growth spurts so eliminate junk food and keep an eye on her height and weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I hate the word FAT when talking about kids... I think he is fine and once he starts getting older he will slim down bc he will be a little more active.. What ever you do just watch how and what u say about his eating habits and weight when he around, that in itself can make him have low self estem....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Has the doctor expressed concerns about her weight? How tall is she compared to her height?

I agree with the others, we all, but children most especially, need a balanced diet. She needs to be getting proteins and grains in addition to fruits and vegetables. Limiting intake of sugary snacks and empty calories is fine, but be sure she's still getting a balanced diet. There is nothing wrong with eating health and encouraging an active child - but I'd be really careful about putting a 2 year old on a diet and being too worried about appearances. Focus more on whether she's in proportion - height to weight - more than a specific weight for her age.

My DD was 22 pounds at a year old. She was closing in on 30 pounds at 2 years old. She's now 5 years old, 41 inches tall and 37 pounds. We've changed nothing. She's simply losing the baby fat as a natural developmental stage. She's very active and eats a fairly balanced diet.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• k thats not fat, exactly how many months is she. and how tall is she, how much was she at birth. SHE SINT FAT IF YOU KEEP SAYINGTHAT SHE IS GONNA END UP BEING ANOREIX OR BULIMIC!! did the doctor tell you she was fat or you are saying she is fat cuz of what people tell you?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• OMG, you have to be kidding me. Don't put her on any diets or regiments. A lot of little ones are chunky and work it off as a toddler running and playing. Leave her alone.
    Anonymous

• My 15 month old daughter is 25 pounds, what a chunker. But she's healthy and happy and she isn't "overweight" by the baby charts. Talk to her doctor is what I would do. Just don't feed her crap (mcdonalds, chips ahoy, packaged/processed foods) and cook for her yourself. Only fruits and veggies is unecessary, try a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread. Oatmeal. Chicken breast. Tofu. Almond or cashew butter (lower fat than peanut butter). Whole wheat pasta with fresh tomato sauce. Making your own food is usually healthier than anything that comes in a box, bag, package, takeout box, or restaurant plate. If she's healthy, don't obsess over her weight because that could be more damaging to a girl than all the baby fat rolls she;s got.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 12:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2009