Why do you choose to be a SAHM?

What are your reasons for being a SAHM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• 1) because my DH makes enough money that i CAN stay home. 2) i have small children 3) i can do all the housework myself because i have time 4) becuase i CAN stay home & most other mothers would too if they could easily afford to. 5) i have time to work on my hobbies & do things i LOVE

Why work if i do not have to?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• There are alot of reasons I choose to. One being that most jobs you don't get off work until 5 and my kids are in bed by 8-8:30. 3 hours per day is not enough time for me to spend with my kids. I want to be the one that shares all the special moments and firsts with them. I want to be the one to raise them and be the one there to support and guide them. The next reason would be that child care is so expensive that it wouldn't be worth what I bring home to pay someone else to watch them. If I am going to work, I atleast want it to be worth the time I have to spend away from my kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• want to be the one with my child for the majority of the day. I'm lucky that financially I can stay home with him. My husband is in the Army, and I think that staying home with my son adds some stability to his life since so often he wakes up and Daddy is just gone. :( I think that is important as well. Also, if I was working, most, if not al,l of the money would just be going to childcare. That is so not worth it to me.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:08 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I didn't choose to be. I have chronic back pain from a mild form of scoliosis, and occasional pain in lower back/bottom, and the side of my thighs due to a sciatic pinched nerve. Sitting for too long or standing for too long aggitates it. I know people suffer from these issues everyday and live normally, but for me when those bad days come it lasts up to a week and I'm miserable. I wouldn't wish the pain on my worst enemy!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I would actually prefer to work outside the home at least part-time although full-time would be ideal for me but for us it is not financially feasible at this point. We would have to buy a 2nd vehicle and pay for childcare and by that point all the money I would make would be gone and maybe more, so I stay home. Hopefully one day.
    m_ellingson

Answer by m_ellingson at 9:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I love being home with my daughter during the day teaching and playing with her and being her number one influence. Its great to be able to (try to) keep a clean house and have home cooked meals every day without the stress of 8-9 hours of work too. Working full time, full time mom and wife is too much on a woman's plate IMO...although some women certainly love it that way. That just isn't for me. One day when my kids are in school I will probably choose to work part time for extra money and just for myself...but for now this is where I want to be.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Like an anon said...being with my kids only from 6 to 7:30 in the evening just sounds horrible to be. And that would cover what...dinner and a few moments of quality time? If I have the option of more time with them I'm definately taking it! And being a SAHM is that option for me.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I used to work in day cares, and the way that some of the children were treated was horrible. In the infant room they would let babies cry in a crib for over an hour and I just couldn't imagine my daughter sitting there, crying, and having no love or comfort all day!
    I am so thankful that I can be home with her and give her all the love she deserves
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 9:16 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I couldn't imagine spending half the day away from my daughter, and my SO supports my decision 100% to stay home, if I didn't then he would make sure he did. It just makes more sense for me to do it at this time.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• why do you choose to be anon? lmao
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2009