Teaching children fashion?

Ok so I'm not one that really worries about fashion. But at least my cloths aren't 20 yrs old and they do match. Now, my daughter on the other hand is a fashion disaster if I let her have her way. I really don't know how to instill good fashion sense into her when its not something I really worried about either. She will dress in a tshirt and pants and then put a skirt over it. Today she tried to wear snow boots with a long skirt. Her sitter gave her bows that had to be made in the 80's. I'm talking great big bows as big as her head and she wants to wear these to school. Kids can be so mean I'm just trying to save her a little heartache. What can I do? I'm not about to go out and buy her designer cloths. I can't afford that. But she can try to dress better. I try to let her pick her cloths. I don't want to squash her say in it. but she chooses the oddest combinations?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 9:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that kids should have a sense of there own style to a point. My daughter also likes to pick out some pretty wild looking combinations. What works well for us is once a week matching outfits and hanging them together. If she wants to wear pants and skirts get her a couple pairs of tight pants to wear under her skirts. kids really are doing that here lol. As far as the bows let her wear them. Sometimes we have to learn things on our own. Maybe the kids will love her bows. Maybe they wont........
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I really don't think its wise to push your fashion sense on her. She seems to have her own. I actually admire her for wanting to wear things the other kids arent doing. I'm sure she's a smart girl and realizes its not what everyone else has one, yet she still wants to do it. Individualism is a RAREITY today and it should really be celebrated, not squashed into being everyone else. You are her mom and of course you'll do what you feel. But I really think you should take a back seat on this one. Hope you find something that truly works for her.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Depending on how old she is you might be able to just tell her, "Let's see what will look good together" and help her pick something. If she is really little (up to 6 or so) I would just let her wear whatever she wants, I don't think another 4 year old will tease her. Then you have to think that past a certain age, you have to let her wear what she wants too... Part of "fashion" is experimentation.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My daughter is now 13 and has much style, but she was the same way.

My daughter is beautiful, and working on her confidence, they try to hide their feelings through their clothes.

I was thinking the same way, she finally started on her own, she is unique-but she is ok.

The more you try to force her, the more she wants to do the opposite. Trust me

How old is she?? Good luck.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My daughter is exactly the same way. She is 10 now and the outfits she comes up with just make me shake my head. BUT, unless she is dressed inappropriately, I dont' say anything. It's not a battle worth having, and she's confident so why would I ruin that by trying to change her
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I say let her be....let her express herself through her clothes. Really it won't hurt anything, as long as she is dressed for the weather. Let her find her own fashion sense, she may ask your opinion once in awhile, and you can let her know what you think.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:22 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• 80's are back!

Let her be. What you think is fashionable, she might hate. What she thinks is cool, YOU might hate. Let her express herself. It is very popular to wear skirts over jeans. I know it seems weird, but that's what kids do these days. Let her wear what she wants, she is finding herself.

Also, you might not think what she wears is cool, but her friends in school might & thats all that matter to her.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• God this thread makes me feel old. She is 8 btw. Ok. I get the point. If she wants to wear her snow boots and a dress so be it. I just really cringe when I see it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:33 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My kids have their own sense of fashion. I make "suggestions" but if they want to look like clowns that is their business.
    Last night we had to go to my 9yo's band concert. I did have a fight with her over wearing her ratty sneakers because they were supposed to be dressed up in black slacks/skirts and white blouses/shirts (which she was). I made her put on her black school shoes and she threw a fit.
    But my 3yo had on this ugly pink plaid dress (I bought it for her because it was $2 and she loves dresses but it's not very pretty). She put on orange, pink, purple striped tights with it. I tried to get her to change but she refused so she went looking like that.
    Her and my 7yo dd are notorious for putting stripes together. They match in their book even if they are different kinds of stripes, different colors, etc. They do look like clowns but it's their life, not mine.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I let my kids dress the way the chose as long as it is appropriate. They are learning their own style and how to be their own person. I don't want my children to be slaves to fashion or little robots like everyone else. My daughter is very offbeat and a couple of mindless robot children made fun of her she said many more complemented her on her style and they now mimic her. I think some obsess to much over this stuff no wonder kids worry so much about fitting in when their own parents freak out about it at home. My kids don't worry about it and realize some people are jerks. If the kids are raised by confident parents with values the kids will do great in school even with some teasing. Every kid is teased in school at some point and they need to learn how to handle it since mean kids usually grow up to be mean adults our kids will have to deal with.
    Anonymous