How would you handle this? (stop texting for alittle bit)

I have a ss whom I have known for 12 yrs. (2 to 15) He has always been a really nice boy and very respectful grades everything is great. But just these 2 or 3 months he has been slacking off he met a girl and I don't ask him questions but I hope they haven't gone all the way bc of his ways being so different now. He has been skipping classes and being absent alot he does not live with us but visit us on the wkends.
Anyway I told my dh maybe you should let continue to let him have his cell but tell him no texting for a week as some form of punishment if he doesn't straighten up same punishment will apply the whole summer. Well this is me (the stepmom) suggesting this...Idk what my dh plans on doing but he has already talked to him and now we'll see what happens. Honestly I think he is letting him go easy. ONE week without texting is not gonna kill him that is the example I'd like to give. What would u do? Thx.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• First of all thanks for being an awesome step mom, how refreshing to see someone handle this right! I think that 1 week without the phone at all would be a better idea, but you stated you all only have him on weekends, what does his MOM say about the skipping school etc,,,,if she can't get on the same page as your DH your going to have problems, the time to nip this in the bud it now, so I think DH and his ex need to sit down and talk about a plan of action and be really clear on what is going to happen if this behavior continues, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i agree with the above posted, you are an awesome step mom, most step parents would try and do it themselves and i congratulate you on having enough common sense to talk to your husband before going off and doing something that'll just piss everyone else off. i also agree that you guys need to know what the mom is doing because if it's not going to happen everyday than it's not going to work at all. I would suggest something like no phone, than no phone no computer, than if it doesn't help than no going out of the house except for school(it sounds harsh but that's how you know he's seeing the girl enough to not care about the phone and computer). i think that's the big pow punishment when it comes to a dating teenager because they want to see each other ALL THE TIME!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We have suspended texting for a week twice...

Answer by rkoloms at 1:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We usually sit them down and have a chat.  I don't suspend the whole texting thing.  I take the whole phone.  I will also take the internet away.  My boys are 16 and 13.  When I leave the house or when it is time to go to sleep, I take the modem with me.  Without that their phones, ipods and psp's are worthless. 

dawnjohnson5

Answer by dawnjohnson5 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2009