I can't stand these darn dogs anymore.. they're HIS dogs not mine and I'm sick of it. What's the best way to find them new homes?

I don't like dogs much, especially not these dogs. They've ruined MY entire house - the carpets (mud, oil, motor oil, drool) even if cleaned look dirty. The walls (holes, claw marks, dirt, drool) not clean even when scrubbed. We've gone through 3 couches and 2 lazyboys. I've had to clean my shower countless times with a big steaming pile of dog poop. If the bathroom door was shut, my kitchen is the location. It's worse if I've kenneled them - they pooh in their kennel, roll in/eat the pooh, and one chewed a hole through the side. We've done training 3 times. I'm sick of it. AND - they're scared of our baby and run away from him knocking stuff over and scaring him. AND - they stink and now so does my house. AND - the bigger one eats her poop in the yard even with those pills to not do it and given her pumpkin and sprayed her with citronella. And the most irritating part is that they're HIS dogs but I feed, cont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pets

• groom, clean up after, take outside, exercise, and take them to the vet..

I've told him numerous times that these are not my dogs and he needs to take care of them, but if I don't do it he lets them suffer. SO, this is it. After an argument thismorning about it, I'm done. If he doesn't take care of them I'm going to give them away. If HE would take care of them and clean up after them this wouldn't be happening. I don't mind his cats - they're easy to deal with and never make messes. I guess my question is, is a breed specific shelter a good option, or should I try to find them specific homes like on Craigslist?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Can they become outdoor dogs? You need to talk with DH and see what he wants to do, sounds like they need more exercise and an obiedience class! I know the feeling DH has this stupid cat, but I put up with it because I love him, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• And, I feel like I'm my SO's mother the way I have to nag and shake my head when he does't take care of the dogs HE so desperately wanted to have. This is not going down like this. He's not a child that needs to be taught how to take care of an animal. He's an adult and needs to step up or face consequences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• kimigogo we've tried the outdoor dog thing. We had them in the barn with a dog door and a big fence. They crapped in the barn and barked all the time. The neighbors complained.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You don't want to give them away on CL and give someone else the problem. They could take the dog to the "pound".

If a rescue group would take them that would be a good choice. They would put the dogs with a foster home that would know how to deal with their problem and not adopt the dog out until the problem was under control. A breed specific rescue group would be great if available.

If dogs are not adoptable some rescue groups have places where they can live out their lives.

Second choice would be the humane society. They are better than the "pound".

Life is too short to have problems over animals. If you take his dogs away consider getting him a nice dog for Christmas. They do exist.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• OP here. Luvbug, you must think I'm some sort of idiot. They have a fenced in yard and I take them out every few hours to play a little and go potty. They get balls thrown and sticks and stuff. My son likes to go outside so I take him out with us. They are just BAD and have really bad separation anxiety. Like I said crating them is a disaster but so is leaving them out in the home. They're just BAD and I don't have the desire to spend 4 months training dogs that are not mine to behave when I'm not in the room they are in. I don't have the time or the need. And they're not mine. If he wants to take care of them and train them he can but I'm DONE.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I see other people are offering suggestions about how to live with these dogs. I understand that there can come a point of no return. There are dogs you just can't live with. Some dogs stink no matter what you do. I don't know why. I couldn't have that kind of dog around. These dogs are not the kind of dogs that you want around a baby. Babies come first.

I'm a foster home for a rescue organization. I've fostered dogs and will now only foster kittens. Dogs can have so many problems.

It's OK to get dogs out of your home if they are making your life crazy or if they are endangering your children.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:35 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I say 4 months because I was watching a show one night about dogs and apparently you have to take huge steps and training methods to cure this anxiety. They've been to obedience classes but were kicked out of two because they kept attacking other dogs and peeing when they got excited.

How on earth do I find a "good dog" Gaill? lol. I'd love to have a little dog that just behaved, went in his crate at night and SLEPT, and didn't eat poop or eat furniture or attack the walls when they were anxious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• OP: all (most) dogs are "good dogs" if they are raised right from the get go. Dogs need a firm and loving "pack leader" and DH didn't raise them that way. Give the dogs away to a humane shelter or rescue group. You (and the dogs) don't need to stress out over this.

BTW: my little poodle mix (a rescue) started eating her poop. Tried everything to stop it and nothing worked. I started adding a tablespoon of crushed pineapple to her food and voila!! She LOVES the pineapple and hates the poop. I also add it to my other dogs food "just in case".

Wishing you good luck....dogs should bring joy and calmness...not stress! And they deserve the same.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 11:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I'm afraid to take them to the humane society because they are both such large dogs and one is an "aggressive" breed.. I read that the humane society has trouble adopting out large dogs, especially "aggressive" breeds and they could be in there for years and lose their tameness - and once they lose tameness they do put them to sleep.

I was hoping someone on CL would be a genuine dog lover or someone who specializes in rehabilitating anxious dogs.

I also was thinking that the breed groups would probably only take one of our dogs. The bigger one is definitely purebreed but the smaller one MIGHT be a mix tho she looks like a fullblood rot she has weird coloring and snout for a rot so they may not take her.

I'm not sure what to do with the rot .. she is the less troubled/anxious one but she's the one that poops in my shower/kitchen and she's run into/over my son a few times already trying to get away from him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2009