What would Blumenthal have some folks do for heat?

For some electricity/gas is too expensive to afford so thy go with an alternative only to find that alternative could be banned soon..wth are these folks to do to keep warm?

If cap and trade passes it will only get even worse for these folks to afford.

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 9:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Thats what we have. I don't think they care about people having heat. They don't put out that damn much smoke.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Next, the hibachi, barbecue grill, and portable Coleman heater. 

Even my BIL, who is a dyed-in-the-wool global warming True Believer, would tell you this is stupid.  He works for the forest service.  Wood can be burned in wood-burning stoves to warm a household, or it can be burned in forest fires.  The cutting of dried dead-fall in considered forestry health.  If it doesn't get removed, the forest service does CONTROLLED BURNS.  Either way, the wood will burn, but hopefully not in a uncontrolled forest fire that destroys thousands of acres, kills hundreds and animals, and destroys millions in houses and possessions.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:08 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I don't think most state and elected officials care about how people take care of their needs, even if they go broke doing so. They act like they care, but actions speak louder than words. Instead of just bitching about how these people are heating their homes, I saw no mention of affordable suggestions for those that can't afford other means of heating their homes. I guess they think it would be better if they were all gathered around a trash can in an alleyway, before retiring to their cardboard boxes? IDK.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:10 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• This is JUST for outdoor wood furnaces? What's next, indoor wood furnaces? They both burn wood, they both "spew toxic smoke 24 hours a day, seven days a week, sickening neighbors and contaminating neighborhoods." What a joke. People have been burning wood to heat their homes a LOT longer than they've used natural gas or propane.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• It's all about money. They tax natural gas, propane, and electric, and the providers of those services. They don't collect tax dollars from the guy cutting his own wood.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We already have "burn" issues here. Before people can use their wood stoves/fireplaces they have to call an air quality hotline. The fine for burning on the "wrong" day is $1000. They issue a limited number of "anytime permits" every year. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it gets COLD here. People have depended upon this type of low cost heat.

manco is right, they do controlled burns around here every single year. I think it makes more sense to HARVEST that wood and use it for heat.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Do any of you actually live in CT? Do you realize CT is 4th in population density in the country? We're not talking about the nearest neighbor living 1/2 mile down the road. Most houses are RIGHT on top of each other here. To say nothing of the fact that there are many fuel assistance programs in the state. I've lived in various parts of CT for over 35 years and have never even seen anyone with a set up like this. It's not even a common energy source.

Anonymous

• "I've lived in various parts of CT for over 35 years and have never even seen anyone with a set up like this."

So because YOU are unfamiliar with them, they should be banned? Solar panels are not a "common energy source" either. Maybe they should ban those too.

If the government wants to ban them, they can PAY the person for the furnace, PAY for a new, energy-efficient furnace, and PAY the person's energy bills for a decade.

These are actually really clean-burning furnaces, and your electric is probably coming from a high-polluting coal-fired plant anyway. You should know something about these furnaces before you decide they are unacceptable. Geez.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Well I can tell you here in Western NY we live in those fancy things ya'll call villages too! There's maybe 2 yards between my house and the house on to the left and 2 yards between my house and the house on the right. And the majority of our houses in these villages DO have this kind of heating! Just cause it ain't common where you are don't mean it ain't common somewhere else!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2009