Do you like the idea of kids/teenagers wearing their ear plugs most of their time?

I mean we all just into the car to go somewhere and I say something to the kids/teengager only to find no response so I turn around to see why there was no answer and sure enough they are all tuned out with whatever they are listening. aarrgg...that makes me so mad sometimes. I actually have to wave my hands to catch their attention. I think it's bullshit though. Sometimes I'll ask them to turn it down just enough to where they can hear me talk to them if I have to.
What do you do...ladies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I tell them to turn them down enough to be able to hear us, too, but I have no problem with them wearing them. I remember being a teen in the 80's and the only way to 'escape' was by wearing my headphones and listening to my Walkman. I'm just glad that the earplugs they wear nowadays don't let out as much noise around the room as the headphones used to...lol. It's just a teenage thing we have to live through....a very minor thing. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My teens didn't have them. Guess that's an advantage of being poor.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• kids...:)
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 10:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• DS wants to be a musician, i encourage the music, we love music all the time and all kinds.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• doesn't bother me really. It keeps the kids from fighting ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My mom had a rule that if anyone could hear your headphones, they were too loud. I've got really good hearing, so if I was ratting them out (because I didn't share my siblings' taste in music), I'd listen to a few lines and be ready to repeat them back.

That also helped my mom be able to talk when everyone was plugged in.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• In the car I can understand having headphones in, but at the house it wouldn't be allowed for them to walk around like that. They are required to participate in the family and household. In the car though, I agree with another PP. That if someone else can hear their music it's too loud. I'd ask them to turn it down too.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:59 AM on Dec. 15, 2009