Is your teenager constantly texting?

I hate that I think it is so rude especially if we are all watching a movie together.

I mean what has the world come to whatever happen with those days like back in the 50's I picture it like "Leave it to Beaver" days maybe not so perfect but wouldn't it be nice? Everything looked so perfect the house, the lawn, the mom's would look so nice and trim with those poofy dresses and wear an apron while cooking with ur dress and heels on. Keep dreaming....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• welcome to the real world.
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 10:05 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• LOL...yeah I sometimes wish I was back in those days....I was born alittle too early! My dd, is 14 and she is texting non stop, or she tries. You have to make little rules about when they can't text, you can't have too many times, so pick wisely! One of ours is no texting at the dinner table. Pick your battles!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:06 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• when DS was born i said i would never keep up with teenage phonecalls and that he would have his own line and answering machine. thank God for technology, I don't have to deal with teenage phonecalls. its his business, i don't butt in. my son does what he wants.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:10 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• my boys have a while before they hit there teenage years! but i see nothing wrong with texting i do it all the time! when my phone bill comes in i usually have between 4000 to 5000 messages from pic messages to test messages! i rather text than talk on the phone!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I don't look like June Cleaver, and my house isn't neat as a pin, but we do believe in old fashioned values, and way of life. Our boys won't have a phone, not until they can pay for it themselves, and then they won't be allowed to use it except for emergencies. They won't do what they want until they don't live under our roof, they are respectful, have chores, get good grades, and we enjoy time together as a family. They don't need to run around, hide out in their rooms, etc. We live a different life than most, we don't force church down their throats, we have fun together. My Hubby is an awesome teacher, and our boys are learning to be respectful men from him as well as other things they are learning from him, like a good work ethic, and knowing that things that are handed to you don't feel nearly as good as something you worked hard to earn....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:26 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My son has his phone glued to his hand usually! I think he has nearly 9,000 texts last month. Good thing we have unlimited! He does pay me for his portion of the bill though so, he can use it anyway he wants as far as I am concerned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• How can you say your kids have to pay to have their own phones yet you say they can't use them except for "emergencies"? If I am paying for something you better believe I am going to use it! How to you justify imposing rules on something you dont pay for?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I'm in agreement with MrsLeftlane. Granted, our children aren't old enough for their own phones yet... but what I don't understand is why 10 year olds, 12 year olds and 15 year olds NEED a phone. Just becasue their friends have on?? And who is footing the bill? Are they working and earning the money for it?

Here is probably what my husband and I will do: Probably at 16 we will get them a phone. HOWEVER, they have to EARN that phone. Have to earn every red cent it costs for the phone AND the service every month. There will be boundaries set up with that phone. It is to be OFF at school, not just silenced... OFF. If we see on the monthly statements that things are being done during school hours, it will be taken away. Respect and obedience will also be required. No phone during family dinners or family time. And there WILL be a texting limit monthly. If they go over, they will have to pay for it and have it taken until they can
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Nope my teens do not have cellphones. A mom at their school said it was abusive they didn't have them.lol My children know how to interact in the world hers are mindless zombies that are slaves to their cellphones. One time her daughter was grounded from her phone and she tried to kill herself. When my kids are adults they can buy their own phones and use them how they like for now they will have to use the home phone or actually speak to people face to face. My poor abused children.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My daughter is nowhere near the age for a cell phone, but I imagine once she is, she'll have similar rules that my sister and I did.

We didn't get phones until we had a reason to have them. For me, I got one when I started driving. I had to earn it, and wasn't allowed to use it during family times. I had a limited number of minutes, and if I went over, I lost it for a week (that never happened). For my sister, she did a lot of traveling with the cheerleading squad, and they gave her a phone at 15 so that my parents could keep up with her when they went out of town. Same rules applied to her.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:03 AM on Dec. 15, 2009