What do you think? A BF ?

My two nephews ages 5 and 2 1/2 give me the strangest looks when they see me BF my DS who is almost 8 months old. They where both bottle formula fed babies. My little sister on the other hand who is also 5 seems so understanding she likes to watch him feed and she will smile and give me a blanket or close the door. It's like she just gets it. She was BF until she was around 2 or so. Do you think that BF babies understand the meaning of breasts better than Bottle FF?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Absolutely. Even if they can't quite remember nursing they definately have an imprint of the love and calm they felt when they were nursing. That's not to say formula fed babies can't or don't understand love and affection- they do, but in a different way. I'm sure your little sister somewhere deep inside her remembers what it was like to snuggle close and taste her mother's warm milk.

She has also probably had breastfeeding explained to her, whereas formula feeding moms sometimes don't feel a need to explain breastfeeding to their children past "that's how baby Joe gets his food."
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Oh, yes. It's hard for people to understand what they've never seen, after all...and that goes for just about everything.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• maybe but both my nieces were ff and i dont bf but i do pump and when i told them why and all the benefits, they ask their mom if they were bf and when she said no i liked my body too much . they looked at her and said mom you suck. they are so amazed that woman can make milk and told me that wen they grow up they wnat to bf. my nephews are like whatever about it
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• its just something they're not use to seeing
    jenny2150

Answer by jenny2150 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Maybe you should explain to the kids "Mommy's are special and can feed babies that way." Tell them what is going on. Let them know "It is the same as a bottle."
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• it might be boy v girl, too. girls seem to appreciate babies and feeding and helping out more so than little boys.
    Anonymous