picky 2.5 year old and he's vegetarian-help!

My hubby is Indian and he wants our son raised vegetarian-okay, no problem.the little one hit the picky eater stage for 2 months now and I have no clue how to handle this on a veggie diet level! My oldest son ate pb and jelly for all meals for 4 months-not a problem. This kid is not into that and meat ideas are not an option. Plus this kid is constantly saying he is hungry (think he is a growth spurt) cuz he does eat what I do give (oatmeal, rice and beans, whole fruit,) whatever he will eat that day and is healthy. I'm out of ideas! and he's wanting something esle! HELP!!!!

BookLover365

Asked by BookLover365 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hummus, dry toasted chick peas, almonds, veggie sticks, fruit slices, avocado cubes, cheeses, lentils...

Just feed him what you feed your hubby. If he's hungry, he'll eat. Almond butter and jelly sandwiches are awesome!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:23 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Also some filling vegetables like butternut squash, sweet potatoes, etc. Cream cheese and olive sandwiches on whole wheat bread (if you are worried about fat, use Neufschatel cheese). Yoghurt. Using whole wheat pastas will give him added nutrition and are filling for longer periods of time. Have you tried tofu???
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 10:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We lived in family housing at a university and our neighbors were Indian. The children could eat meat even though the parents were very religious and very careful to keep vegitarian diets. They didn't have to stop eating meat until they were a certain age - I think it was in their teens. She made this great chicken and would make extra for my kids.

You might question more about if kids can eat meat. She explained that children are allowed to eat chicken, milk, and eggs to grow strong. They were Hindu.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Gaill- there really is no benefit to feeding children meat, especially if they are getting whole grains, legumes, nuts, etc. the vegetarian diet provides MORE than enough protein.

OP- they all go through picky stages, and what they eat one day, they may not the next. rest assured that they will not starve, and will eat when and what they are hungry for. look at what they eat on a WEEKLY basis, not on a daily basis. one day may be all fruit, another all carbs, and another they may want nuts/legumes/bean curd/etc... it really does not matter what they eat on a daily basis. if you track their eating habits for a couple of weeks, you'll see what i mean.
    keep in mind that this too shall pass, and that you're doing the best you know how- be proud of that, embrace your ability to nourish them in the best way possible, and run with it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

By the way, do you have a great recipe for Samosa?