i got a cough and breastfeeding

i have a really bad cough that keeps me awake at night, i would cough so bad that i would end up throwing up if i coughed long enough. i haven't tried any types of cough medicines because i'm afraid my baby will get it so i've just been suffering for the past few days. are there any safe medicines or ways to soothe away this cough while breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just take some Robitussin. I remember getting sick when breastfeeding, & my Dr. said it would be OK to take some Robitussin every once in a while. He said the breast filters a lot, & the baby will not get much if anything of the medicine. He said it was better for baby & myself if i was able to get some sleep. So, i took the Robitussin & my baby is fine & healthy.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You might want to at least get it checked out to make sure its just a cough and not a deeper infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You can take almost all medications while breastfeeding. However, cough meds aren't all that effective and many doctors don't recommend them for anyone. You can try things like warm drinks, soup, and sucking on things that seem to sooth your throat like candies.

I have genetic immune deficiencies and get bronchitis and pneumonia often. It can help to sit up and brace your chest with a pillow, hold it or lean over it, while coughing. I have coughed so hard I've broken ribs. There still isn't anything you can take or they can do. I've breastfed my three children until each was over 2 so there were many times I had bronchitis or pneumonia while breastfeeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• wet a cotton sock w COLD water, wring out, safety pin round your neck. wet wool sock w HOT water, repeat. mom used 2 do this 4 me when i was little & i still use it
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Make a syrup with equal parts honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory). Don't have dairy until your cough clears up.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009