Can't decide on a new addition?

So I've finally got dh's approval for another dog. We have always had two dogs up till last Christmas when our 5yo weim bit our daughter on the face. We've been pretty much mourning her (the dog) for the past year along with being busy but things are stable now and our other dog is acting a bit lonely (he's so excited when we have furry company) so I talked dh into getting another dog. I want a schnauzer mix thats at a local rescue, he wants a lab to hunt with and his sis is looking for a home for her cocker. His parents are willing to take the cocker but would rather have a beagle and our other dog is my baby so dh feels like he should be able to have a dog. This is though, I will be the one doing all the training and cleaning up after this dog. So, WWYD?

Rowdyblues

Asked by Rowdyblues at 11:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pets

• Shelter dog. Or, how about a shelter dog? Then again you could always get a shelter dog. I know! you should definitely adopt a shelter dog! Save a life, adopt a SHELTER DOG!
    Anonymous

• Any rescue dog would be great.. Did you have the other dog put down? That's very sad, you should probably get a young dog, like under 1 yr, so that your children can grow with it. Older rescue dogs come from so many different situations and may not be the best match for your family. GL..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• More info on the weim and why she had to go. She had been through all kinds of training and I had approached our trainer about her dislike of kids and she said since she was raised with them (we got her as a pup right before having our first kid and right after I started childcare so kids were nothing new to her) and still didn't like them it was probably just a natural dislike and there wasn't much we could do about it. I also ran a daycare so keeping her around wasn't good for business and winters are cold here and she was a house dog so sticking her outside wasn't an option either. Weims need to be with their people so that would have just been cruel to her. We found her a home with a hunter who didn't have any kids and had another weim already so he knew what he was getting into. I don't do daycare anymore and our girls are 4 and 6 now. The rescue is a year old, cocker is under a year and lab would be a pup.
    Rowdyblues

Answer by Rowdyblues at 11:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• What's MOST important is if the new addition will fit into your family. Labs are great family dogs but they are notorious for getting into things ..especially if they aren't exercised at least 1 hour a day. What kind of dog is your other dog? If he's older then a boisterous puppy is probably not a good idea. What about the cocker??? Sounds like he/she needs rescuing...and you KNOW this dog with all his/her personality and issues. You'd know what you'd be facing.

And yes...please get a rescue dog. Maybe one who's just a year or so old...they've already lost their puppy teeth and should be housebroken...but young enough too!
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 11:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I have had all three breeds and it just comes down to which fits your family the best. My schnauzer mix was awesome she was like an old soul and knew my oldest sister was different and watched out for her but the down side to this breed is they can be very barky and protective of their families. Cockers can be great companions but they can also be nasty. Labs are high energy dogs. This of course goes for any breed but if you take the time to socialize the dog you should not have an issue. Just make sure that the cocker or schnauzer are good with kids. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Beagles are high maintenance and very very hyper. Their personalities are fun, but you need to have the time and space for them. Try and find a dog at a rescue center or humane society. Its better to rescue one and know what their personality is already. Puppies are a lot of work and you don't know what you are getting. Cockers can be great companions for adults, but my husband has been called to more dog bites where children have been bitten by cockers in the last year than any other breed. They can be temperamental and don't tolerate children very well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2009