natural birth or medication?

I am curious to see how many wome chose natural birth with a midwife vs. Hospital with doctor and why? Especially interested to hear from women who have had both. What was your experience? How do they compare? Which would you perfer?

hillma

Asked by hillma at 11:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, I haven't had kids yet. :(
    But i am a firm believer in doing what is best for your body (which is different for everyone. not bashing epi's at all!) and your baby! I WILL be having a midwife, no pain meds, and hopefully at home or in a birthing center. Because that is what i feel is best for my body and my baby! ...given, of course, that i have a low risk pregnancy and remain low risk through out delivery.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My first was a more or less natural birth in a hospital with an OB - traumatic by my standards but fairly normal by hospital ones. Didn't use any pain meds, stayed home as long as I could.
    My second, I saw a midwife for prenatal care. I cannot recommend that highly enough. I felt more taken care of than with an OB but she also didn't do as many tests as an OB would, which was exactly what I wanted. The baby was supposed to be born at the hospital with the midwife but I ended up having her at home a bit unexpectedly. It was SO cool! Peaceful, calm, completely unhindered. My husband called 911 so there were EMT's in the room just as she was born and we did go to the hospital afterward to make sure we were both okay.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I am a firm believer in having as little pain and discomfort as possible! I had 2 induced (my body will not labor on it's own) pain free deliveries! Even being induced I was in labor for 16+ hours each time and can't imagine ever wanting to be in pain for all those hours! I had an epidural and slept through most of my labor... I was able to relax and watch TV, read and eat... I would NEVER have an epi free delivery!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Hospital with a doctor. First time around, because it was my first, that's what I felt more comfortable with. Second time around I had no choice, as midwives are not allowed to attend VBACs in my state. I did get an epidural, but that decision was made during labor when I felt like I needed it; I didn't go into it planning one way or the other.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I had a natural birth with a midwife (it was in a hospital but it was nothing like a typical hospital birth). It was awesome and amazing and I'd never do it any other way. I'm planning to do the same with the baby I'm carrying now...Although I may just "accidently" have her at home instead :-D
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I am right there with you Sabrina!! I was also induce due to developing BP/liver issues (possible pre-eclampsia). I had an Epi with a midwife in a Hospital with both of my kids. I had a great experience with both deliveries!! Being a medical professional myself there was no way I was not going to have my kids in a hospital!! But, I did like the low key atmospher with the midwives. I saw them thru both pregnancy's, and would recommend it to anyone!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2009