natural birth or medication?

Did you have a natural birth with a midwife or a medicated birth or csec in hospital. How do they compare? Which would you perfer?

hillma

Asked by hillma at 11:33 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first birth was no interventions with a CNM in a birthing center connected to a hospital.
    Second birth was no interventions with a MD in a birthing suite in a hospital.
    Third birth was high risk induction with no pain meds in a high risk room.

I took childbirth classes and never felt the need for pain meds. I was more afraid of an epidural and all of the complications they can cause than the 'pain' of birth.

Never induce unless your or the baby's life is at risk. I planned to have an epidural because I was very ill but never needed it.

Homebirth would have been my first choice but I lived in a state where that wasn't an option.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I had 3 natural births in a Hospital.. I would do it all over again. I didn't have a midwife, I wanted a Dr in case of problems, but he was more of a coach than anything. Thankfully I had 3 healthy baby boys, the only problem we ran into was the cord around our 2nd sons neck so he needed oxygen after, he was fine but thankfully I was at a hospital for the birth. I wouldn't have felt safe doing it any other way. To each their own, this is just what felt right to me...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I had epidural in a hospital. I never understood why anyone whouldl choose to put themselves through that much pain choosing to go natural? They aren't winning any medals! It hasn't been proven that epi affects the baby in any harmful ways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I had a midwife and stayed home. No meds. I wouldn't have it any other way unless there was an emergency. Nuchal cords are common and aren't generally a problem because the cord is well designed, problems that may arise are easily remedied 99% of the time, so i had no worries whatsoever. Cord prolapse is the true emergency but that is very rare in a healthy natural birth.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• 3 non medicated births, 2 in hospital- not happy with being confined by their ideas of "norm", so 3rd was a waterbirth  a local freestanding birth center with the most awesome MW ever!  Carolina Waterbirth <---- link to their site. If I were not fixed, I would most def NEVER have another hospital birth... EVER.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• adding (like pp said) that ALL of my babies had their cord around their neck at least once- the 3rd had it wrapped around his his neck 3 times, and he was the our of hospital birth. over 80% of all babies are born with the cord around the neck, and this is NOT an emergency. just a normal course of events, you unloop the cord as soon as they pop out, and all is good.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Anonymous 11:50

I didn't put myself "through" anything. Pain is subjective. My labor didn't tickle...but neither was it excrutiating agony. It was very intense hard work. There was a little burning and a lot of very maddening pressure as the baby descended, but I had no contraction pains otherwise. It also wasn't constant, there were periods of rest and surges of adrenalin and endorphins. Literally, an hour after the birth I could hardly remember what it felt like -- sense of time was skewed -- and I had a rush I'd never had before.

Pain isn't always the pain of smashing your foot with a hammer...some pain is the good pain of hard work, exercise, and accomlishment. Nature knows what she is doing.

And epidurals do have many side effects they are supposed to tell you like spinal headaches, persistent numbness and/or pain, that it can slow labor, prevent needed position changes,....and...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• ...because they have to overfluid you with IV fluids it affects your blood pressure and the baby as well. Add on top of that the harsh, overpowerful contractions that have no break with common inductions and you have a recipe for fetal distress.

This is KNOWN by medical professionals. That's why they are supposed to watch you.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I had 3 with a light pain reducer and 1 with an epidural. The epi is horrible and it only worked on one side of body. I had severe headaches afterwards and would never wish that feeling on my worst enemy. If I could do it all over again I wouldve done the light pain reducer with my 4th. I was still in horrible pain but it doesn't last as long as the side effects from the epi. My DD is 9 months old now and I was still getting pains at the injection site on my back about 3 months ago. No Fun at All!
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 12:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I had an unmedicated birth in a hospital with a nurse/midwife (who is also my sister). 7 pounds, 10 ounces

Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009