Moms of girls...Am I paranoid?

I worry about my daighter growing up in this world with all this peer pressure and how much our society is oversexed! Look at Miley Cyrus for example. I know she has to grow up someday but little girls look up to her and some may follow in her footsteps. I will try my best to show her the right path but God this world is crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• yeah thats the reason i don't want a girl. i mean i won't be upset if i do but i honestly just want 2 boys lol i was a teenage terror haha
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 11:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I worry about it all the time and my daughter is just a baby. This woman gave me some good advice. She said she limited how many television commercials her daughter watched. Advertising is where most of the stereotypes, etc. come in to play, so if you can try to limit that, maybe you can control it a little bit.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Have a good, honest and open relationship with your daughter and things will be fine. If they feel they can talk with you about any and everything going on in their lives, I think they are more apt to respect you, themselves and others.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Get rid of the TV
    Anonymous

• My three kids are two girls and a boy. My daughters are my youngest kids at 22 years old and 17 years old. However old your dd is now you have to track her responsibly and teach her responsibility. If her grades and behavior, when the time comes at whatever age, don't demand routine tracking then track randomly. If things worsen as dd becomes a preteen and teen or earlier than track more.

When my 17 year old was 3 I took away a tv show because the cartoon characters said stupid often. Andmy daughter at age 3 was using that word often. I took away that show and her behavior became better. I've told my kids as they grown, my son being the oldest, all 3 that them deciding at a child's age mentally that they are grown up emotionally and physically requires them to be accountable to certain people for their choices and sometimes payback to those people for disrespecting them. Plus with all three sex has never been a secret.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• What did Miley Cyrus do exactly? I keep hearning parents call her a 'tart' and a 'slut' but I mean why? She is like 17 and never been in any real trouble.
    Anonymous

• Raise them up right they usually don't stray. I have 6 daughters two are adults 4 are teens. All are great young women who have great self esteem and value themselves. I feel sorry for the men out there they don't stand a chance with my daughters. My oldest has very high standards and her fiance stays on his toes being the man she deserves. It has been interesting to watch him grow as a person with her. He was a goofy boy in college now he is a man who does deserve her. I think as mom we need to have confidence as well. How can we teach confidence if we lack it.
    Anonymous

I think some of the moms are jealous she has accomplished more in her short 17 years than they ever will.
    Anonymous

• Yep, scares me too.... I keep concidering moving to a secluded cabin in alaska and just living off the land.... hide her away till she has a college education and past the homonal blunders of our youth.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Oh, you are not paranoid, just safely cautious. I have a 9 year old girl and her friends are dropping one by one, boy crazy or they want to be the next Disney channel star and drop out of school. I keep my girl grounded so far, and plan to just be on her like white on rice to make sure she chooses the right thing.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2009